Kapa in Japan

Post ANSELL - Woodhay, Hampshire

George Ansell c1810 East Woodhay - Apr 1891 Kingsclere was married to Pheaby or Phoebe. They had ten children. Their daughter Mary Ann married Joseph Harrison, they were my GG Grandparents.
    If you've got any information or possible links to these people I would love to hear from you.

S.HJ.

ojs_uk

OK, I've no connection to this family, but I just did a quick lookup for you.

George ANSELL married Phoebe BEATHE on 12th August 1826 in East Woodhay.

I have not found any baptism records or anything, but I hope that helps.

Good luck with your search!

Kapa in Japan

Hello ojs_uk,

Thank you very much for your kind help. I've been looking on and off for a George and Phoebe together for some years. Now a marriage date and a surname is very helpful.

Best regards

Stephen

janbooth

Default Geo ANSELL

Stephen,

Do you have census information for George & Phoebe? Phoebe seems to have died between 1851 & 1861 as by the 1861 census George is described as a Widower. There is a death registration on FreeBMD of a Phoebe ANSELL in the September qtr 1852 at Kingsclerc registration district (which includes East Woodhay), vol 2c, page 122 which is likely to be your Phoebe. George seems to have moved around somewhat as in the 1841 census & 1851 he is not shown as being in the same household as Phoebe. In the 1851 census, Phoebe is shown as being born c1807 at Wanborough, Wiltshire. Let me know if you would like the census details.

In the 1851 census, George seems to be living in the household of a Sarah CHILDS in East Woodhay and is described as a married House Servant. I can't find him with any certainly at the moment in the 1841 but I will continue to search.

Janet

Kapa in Japan

Hello Janet,

Thanks very much for that. I also feel fairly sure that death of 1852 is my Phoebe, alas I haven't got her death certificate yet. It's next on my list.
    As for George, I've got or at least seen censuses for 1851, 61, 71, 81 and 91 but NOT for 1841. There is a George Ansell on the 1841 in East Woodhay but as I said I haven't seen it yet.

Best regards

Stephen

Kapa in Japan

Hello Again ojs_uk,

I can't find the family name "Beathe" in my Reaney and Wilson's dictionary of English Surnames.
    There are some hits when I search in Google.

I would be very grateful if would you tell me where you found that information about Phoebe Beathe.

Sincerely

Stephen

janbooth

Default George ANSELL

1841 census of East Woodhay
    HO107/392/10, folio 7, page 8

Mary HALL 55 Ind Born in county yes
    George ANSEL 25 M.S. yes
    Mariah COOK 35 F.S. yes
    Sarah BRIANT 15 F.S. yes

HO107/392/10, folio 8, page 9

Pheebe ANSELL 30 Born in county no
    Jane do 12 yes
    Mary A do 10 yes
    Josiah do 7 yes
    Charlotte do 3 yes
    Lucy do 1 yes

Janet

Kapa in Japan

Many thanks for your help.

Cheers

Stephen

Kapa in Japan

Hello Janet,

Once again many thanks for your kind help.
    That's a lot of helpful information that I hadn't seen before.

Sincerely

Stephen