Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whitesmith

Mortlake, London (where the Boat Race ends)

Question Whitesmith

Can anyone tell me what a Whitesmith is... or was?

Rod Neep

A whitesmith is one who makes pots and pans, things made from tin plate (such as cooking tins, etc.), internal bell pull systems, etc.

Rod

Mortlake, London (where the Boat Race ends)

Smile Thanks!

Thanks Rod! You are a mine of useful information! Not sure how you do it, or know it, but please keep up the good work!

A fountain of knowledge

Question Whitesmith & Engineer?

Hi,

Any thoughts about my ancestor being described as Whitesmith and then as Engineer & Smith? [The second is from the LDS 1851 CD for Aston, Warks; I haven't seen the original census to confirm.] They don't seem to go together.

Thanks,

Peggy

Rod Neep

Quote Originally Posted by Lindad
    Thanks Rod! You are a mine of useful information! Not sure how you do it, or know it, but please keep up the good work!
    Just never test me on the name of someone I was introduced to three minutes earlier.

Rod Neep

Quote Originally Posted by Peggy
    Hi,

Any thoughts about my ancestor being described as Whitesmith and then as Engineer & Smith? [The second is from the LDS 1851 CD for Aston, Warks; I haven't seen the original census to confirm.] They don't seem to go together.

Thanks,

Peggy
    I don't see any real problem with that. A whitesmith who is also, or later becomes, an engineer and smith. Besides which, "smith" covers all sorts of things generically, such as blacksmith, whitesmith, and so on.

Rod

A fountain of knowledge

Default Engineer & Smith

[I don't see any real problem with that. A whitesmith who is also, or later becomes, an engineer and smith.]

Thanks, Rod. Would "engineer" likely be the same as "engine smith," which is an occupation found on the other side of the family?

Peggy

jwhite51

Default whitesmith

my father was a whitesmith

a whitesmith would deal with boilers etc in ships, steam engines etc

A fountain of knowledge

Thumbs up Whitesmith & Engineer

[my father was a whitesmith
    a whitesmith would deal with boilers etc in ships, steam engines etc]

Thank you. That's very interesting. It was also the case in 1850? Gives me a whole new picture of my ancestor. I see a thread on "engine occupations" in my future. :) I'll have to go through the certs and census data and collect up all of the variations. Wonderful to be able to tap into the extensive knowledge of the B-G Forums members!

Best,

Peggy

koalablue

Default Whitesmith and Engineer E & M

Hi,

I did a search via Google for Whitesmith and it directed me to here......and I'm so glad I never knew this place existed and it looks great. What a wealth of information here....

My gg/grandfather is listed as an Engineer E & M on the 1881 census.
    On previous census he's a Whitesmith.
    My query is what would the E & M be in regard to Engineering. It couldn't be electrical/mechanical .... possibly mechanical, but querying the electrical??
    Does anyone have any ideas?

Thank you and great forum.
    Maureen

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast