Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Whitesmith

granof17

Default Whitesmith

Hi there,was googling for occupation of a whitesmith....was redirected here,and it made me remember something I have to do.

Nice to be back

Famous for offering help & advice peter nicholl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by koalablue View Post
    Hi,

I did a search via Google for Whitesmith and it directed me to here......and I'm so glad I never knew this place existed and it looks great. What a wealth of information here....

My gg/grandfather is listed as an Engineer E & M on the 1881 census.
    On previous census he's a Whitesmith.
    My query is what would the E & M be in regard to Engineering. It couldn't be electrical/mechanical .... possibly mechanical, but querying the electrical??
    Does anyone have any ideas?

Thank you and great forum.
    Maureen
    Hi Maureen and welcome
    Although junior to the Institution of Mechanical Engineers by nearly a quarter of a century, the Institution of Electrical Engineers was founded in 1871. So E&M could well be mechanical and electrical in 1881.
    Peter
    Peter Nicholl
    Researching:Nicholl,Boater, Haselgrove & Vaughan

shirley haas

Smile white-metal

My ancestors worked in this field in England during the 1700s and 1800s; it recently ended as silversmiths are now - as an industry - are a thing of the past. NOW, there are still those who work silver, but usually - I understand - they are individuals rather than a company. Obviously, silver is here to stay. sh

Izzycat

Smile

my 3 x gt grandfather was a whitesmith in 1861 & subsequent census returns. Previous to that he was a blacksmith. A whitesmith worked with any white metal & could do also do fine work as well work on boilers, etc. at least that's what my research threw up a few years ago.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12