Fidgetsmum

Default Got the Will but no way to read it!

For the small price of £3.50, the PRO kindly sent me, in PDF form, the Will of my 3xgrt.grandfather. Unfortunately, although it's in English, it runs to 3 (and a bit) A4 pages and, despite increasing the zoom to 200%, I still can't make out more than the odd sentence.

Please - I need help. What on earth do I do now?

v.wells

Let them know that it is unreadable and to email you another better quality image - at no charge of course.. Have you tried to print a page of it?

could you put the images on flickr or photobucket and give us a link to them? There is a certain gentleman on this forum can decipher wills with one eye closed.
    He might see the request and help - or I can ask him.
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

Mutley

Where there is a will, there is a way Maybe?

Fidgetsmum

Oh Mutley! That was a dastardly pun

It isn't actually the PRO's fault, I have printed a copy (several in fact) by zooming in, screen dumping and pasting - 'tis the writing I can't read, the combined effect of a broad-nibbed pen and small writing. Of course, the more you zoom the more the image becomes distorted.

flickr or photobucket? Oh dear! I just knew it would have to get technical. I have tried, believe me, I have. I've tried with both flickr and photobucket and get as far as 'choose file' - when I choose the file, it says 'Open', I click (or indeed double click) and nowt happens. 'You need it to be in a file of its own' says daughter, helpfully. It is in a file of it's own. 'Yes, but it probably needs to be a graphics file - jpeg, gif etc.' Despite getting an A* in her GCSE IT exam some years ago, her expertise in making it into such, doesn't run to that I'm afraid. Daughter's last suggestion is to increase the zoom, take a digital photo then download from the camera. It's a thought, but surely we're going about this the wrong way?

Reputation beyond repute

If you want to email the pdf file to me, I'll make it available to everyone. My email address is on the home page of my website.

Fidgetsmum

I'll do that, thank you Peter for your generous offer.

F'smum

Reputation beyond repute

I've put the will online but took the liberty of starting a new thread in the "Reading Old Documents" forum:

https://www.british-genealogy.com/for...053#post162053