Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SharonB

Default PHILIP EDDOWES CURRY/TITANIC

Hi there,
    Does anyone out there have any information on my husbands relative Philip Eddowes Curry who was born in Birkenhead in 1861 and died in Southampton in 1933. He was the manager of the WHITE STAR LINE in Southampton and was in charge of the TITANIC and OLYMPIC ships.
    He is mentioned in some books about the Titanic but I would love to have more personal info about the man and his family and there must be a photo of him somewhere.
    Thanks,
    Sharon

Jan1954

I think that your first port of call (please excuse the pun ) should be the Titanic Historical Society.

One of their board, Paul Louden-Brown, is the expert on the White Star Line. Contact details for the THS are on their website (google it) and Paul may be contacted through them.

SharonB

Thankyou Jan,
    I`ll try that next.
    Sharon

Jan1954

By the way, I have a deck chair from the Olympic in my sitting room... (don't ask... )

AnnB

Quote Originally Posted by Jan1954 View Post
    By the way, I have a deck chair from the Olympic in my sitting room... (don't ask... )
    Why?

Ann

SharonB

Default PHILIP E CURRY/TITANIC

Philip Curry probably had to sack some poor chap for nicking that........!
    Sharon

Titanicfan

Hi SharonB - your enquiry certainly got my attention as a massive fan of all things Titanic related! Please try the British Titanic Society - I'm a member of their society and there's not much they don't know regarding The White Star Line and the Titanic/Olympic - website: www.britishtitanicsociety.co.uk or email: [email protected]. I'd be very interested to find out the results of this research.

Jan1954, I'm intrigued regarding the Olympic deck chair...

Jan1954

Default The deckchair

A few years ago, Mr P (who is also a huge Titanic fan) and I went to an auction of Olympic bits 'n' pieces in Halwhistle, Northumberland.

Paul (referred to earlier in this thread) is a very good friend of ours gave us the "heads up" about the auction and we were able to secure the deckchair. It looks like a tatty old chair to me that almost looks too bad to stick on a bonfire, but Mr P throws his hands up in horror when I say this and starts to mutter about history, the White Star Line and all things Titanic.

By the way (and I expect that Titanicfan already knows this) the third ship (Britannic) is sitting on the floor of the Aegean Sea, having been torpedoed and is a war grave.

I also have some floor tiles from the Olympic and a piece of the stair rail...

SharonB

I`ll email the British Titanic Society over the weekend. The book Titanic Voices mentions him quite a lot so someone must have heard of him.
    It`s so strange my husband is from Liverpool and has always been fascinated by the Titanic story, then suddenly I found out that he had a family connection.
    Now we would just like to know what he looked like.
    Thanks,
    Sharon

Titanicfan

SharonB also try the Southampton Archives - email: [email protected] - she has been very helpful to me regarding researching my Southampton ancestors.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast