Sheena O'Fee

Smile Chelsea pensioner; Sutherland

I'm trying to trace my family tree and come across g-g-g-granparent as being a Chelsea pensioner, I would like to find out more about him, which regiment, where served etc, but have no idea where to start or how to go about it.[not good with complicated stuff]

he was James Mackay, from Strathy Point, Sutherland, his wife was Christina Grant, he died 21/10/1863 and his parents were John Mackay & Ann Campbell

does anyone have information that could help.......many thanks
    sheena
    Last edited by Sheena O'Fee; 02-05-2008 at 9:21 AM. Reason: wanted to put first name

Geoffers

You don't mention an age at death, or when he may have left the army.

If he left the army before the mid-1850's, he service record is likely to be individually indexed on The National Archives (TNA) web-site and so can be ordered online form them

Go to the Catalogue

In the 'Word or phrase field' enter - James Mackay
    Leave the year range blank for now
    In the department or series code enter - WO
    (WO stands for War office).

Now hit search. You should come back with this list of hits
    Ignoring the earlier WO121 records, there seems to be at least two possible matches, but it depends on his rough year of birth and when he was know to have left the army.

You can pay TNA to provide copies of these documents.

TNA has loads of research guides. Look at those prefixed 'British Army'
    for ideas on researching your chap.

Sheena O'Fee

Smile

Thanks for all that info Goffers I tried what you suggested and see there are two possibles but I'm affraid its all a but confusing for me at present I'll try again when there is less mayhem going on around me .........weekends get like that at times..lol

I'll concentrate on your suggestions later on when things return to a peaceful norm.....cheers for now