Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    garom

Default NELLIE {aka HELEN) ALBURY

Hi Folks,
    I am searching for the above lady. Her marriage cert (1901, after the census !), to JOHN STEPHEN BROWN, gives her age as 26, thus giving a birth year of 1875. It also says that her father was deceased and, that he was a Butler. His name was Edward. She was living at 21, Brunswick St at the time and the wedding took place at the Southwark Registrar Office. They emmigrated to America where they ended their days. Nelly made 3 trips home, ‘to see her parents’. Altho’ I have her husband’s death cert I haven’t been able to obtain hers. I have all their US censuses and they don’t appear to have had any children.
    On a passport application she says that she was born 12th Aug 1877, in Hampshire, England. I have been searching all avenues since April 2006 and still I haven’t found her. I’ve tried all the different ways of spelling her name.
    Would welcome any help whatsoever P L E A S E.
    Regards - Anthony

busyglen

Hello Anthony,

I don't know if this is of any help or not, but I will throw it in anyway.

Like you, I couldn't find any Helen/Nellie Albury, but I remembered that my mother was Ellen, but mostly called Nellie, so I looked for an Ellen Albury. No joy, so I tried various alterations to the surname, and came up with two, one of which was in 1875.

Ellen ALBERY, June Qtr. 1875 2b 362 Midhurst

Ellen ALBERY, Mar Qtr. 1876 2b 400 Midhurst.

I know this isn't in Southwark area, but is on the borders of Hants. & Sussex.

(These were taken from FreeBMD)

Glenys
    Last edited by busyglen; 29-04-2008 at 1:49 PM. Reason: addition

Mutley

In 1881 Eleanor J. Albury was living as a step daughter at 31 Pitts Place, St Saviour, Southwark.

Eleanor J. Albury 15
    Lucy Brown 16, a boarder
    Anderson Fillingham 41, head
    Elizabeth Fillingham 41, wife
    George A. Fillingham 4, son
    Rose Fillingham 8, daughter

Class: RG11; Piece: 519; Folio: 120; Page: 26;

The place is right, the name is a version of Nellie, a boarder is named Brown, maybe a relative of her husband and her father is deceased but her age is wrong, this makes her born 1866.

However,

There must be a connection

Marriage of Elizabeth Albury to Anderson Fillingham was registered in March 1868 in Newington, Surrey. (Southwark area). 1d/216

Jan1954

I reckon that this is the birth of Eleanor to whom Mutley refers:

Births Dec 1865
    Albury Eleanor Jane St. Saviour 1d 16

St Saviour is another name for St Saviour Southwark.

Mutley

Eleanor Jane Albury's birth was registered in the December qrt of 1865 at St Saviour, Southwark. 1d/16

busyglen

Well done girls!

Glenys

Jan1954

Thanks Glenys. However, it doesn't really fit with Nellie's declaration on her passport application that she was born in Hampshire

Probably back to the drawing board...

Mutley

They quite often did not know when and where they were really born.
    It would be very interesting to know the mother and father on this Eleanor Jane's birth certificate.

Depends if 'garom' wants to spend the £7.00 to find out or the £4.00 to check if the father is Edward?

garom

Default NELLIE {aka HELEN) ALBURY

Hi Folks,
    Thank you all for your help on this issue.
    When I find a ‘possible,’ I immediately check the 1881 census to check whether the father is ‘Edward’ or the mother a widow. Neither Ellen’s appeared on the Family Search site and Ancestry was also lacking.
    The ‘Ellen’ possibility hadn’t occurred to me because, throughout my research, my quarry has always been either Nellie or Helen.
    Regarding the Ellen in Southwark, as was said, the age is wrong, and the Brown/s are the family I am researching and we don’t have a Lucy on the tree. Re birth certs with a name l;ike Brown you can understand my reluctance to keep forking out for ‘unhelpful’ certificates. On her trips home she sailed from Southampton (not London) on her return journey.
    I did try Parish Registers but completely lost my way .
    As was said……. Back to the drawing board !
    Once again, many thanks,
    Regards - Anthony

janbooth

Default Nellie ALBURY

Anthony,

Just a thought, but do you have any other corroborative evidence that Nellie's father WAS actually an Edward ALBURY. Marriage certificates can contain the names of spurious fathers. In 2 instances in my own family tree, I spent ages looking for fathers quoted on marriage certificates who turned out not to exist and were total inventions, the brides both turning out to be the children of unmarried mothers.

Janet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast