Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    garom

Default NELLIE {aka HELEN) ALBURY

Hi Janet,
    NO I don’t have any corroborative evidence regarding Nellie’s father. The only Edward Albury deceased that I found, turned out to be a policeman. There has been aura of illegitimacy surrounding the whole of this investigation .How does one set about finding out about illegitimate births. How did you ?
    It I could get a copy of her death cert I’d find out her mother’s name as the US certs give that detail, but due to their ‘Identity Theft’ restrictions I’ve been unable to access their records. I’ve always thought that she died in America. I wouldn’t mind except I have a picture of
    her !!!!
    Regards - Anthony

janbooth

Default Nellie ALBURY

Hi Anthony,

In one case I obtained the birth certificate - which I really should have done at the start, but as it was my maternal grandmother and I knew her date of birth and also had postcards in which she had written to her supposed mother and father (who were actually her grandparents), I hadn't bothered. It was only when I could not find the supposed father she had shown on her marriage certificate, that I purchased her birth certificate. Her actual mother died of meningitis when my grandmother was only 18 months old, so I suppose that she was brought up believing that her grandparents were her parents.

In the other case, the birth was pre-registration, so I looked in the parish registers for her birth - after spending many months looking for a non-existent Frederick BROWN who was supposedly her father according to her marriage certificate.

These instances only serve to underline that you should always consult actual evidence where possible, even if you THINK you already know all the facts!!

In your case, I think you may have to trawl through the GRO Index and select all the Ellen/Eleanor/Nellie ALBURYs born c1877 in Hampshire, see if you can eliminate any of them through 1881 and later census records and then see what you are left with.

Good luck.

Janet

garom

Default NELLIE (akaHELEN) BROWN

Many thanks for your reply and suggestions - it may come to that !
    Anthony

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12