sft456

Default Can anyone......

Can anyone give more details of this family?:

1831 Census (if it existed) Hampshire?

Walter Flintoff 50 1781 b? m 1804 St Marys Church Marylebone d 1840’s
    Jane (nee Chester?) 52 1779 b? d?
    Caroline 17 bap 11/9/1813 b Northington, Hampshire? m Christopher Haines in 1835 Westminster

Other children before and after Caroline?
    Occupation of Walter, place of birth of Walter and Jane and date of death?

Jane

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by sft456
    Can anyone give more details of this family?:
    1831 Census (if it existed) Hampshire?
    The census returns before 1841 were just lists of numbers, names were not required. A very, very few returns do include some names and details, but they are rare.

As an alternative, you might find a survey of the parish where a family lived, dated to around 1830-ish. Also the Land Tax returns from the late 1790s show heads of households and act as a form of census. Other than that you may be lucky to find a family turning up in an early directory.

birdlip

Hi Jane,

IGI has Walter Flintoff and Jane as parents of this child, still in the same parish they married in;

Jane Ann Flintoff b 12 Jun 1816, bapt 21 Jul 1816 St Mary, Marylebone.

regards birdlip

sft456

Default The Flintoffs

Thank you birdlip for some real information. I think you appreciate my 1831 Census was hypothetical, I wasn't even aware returns were collected until 1841.

Do you have access to St Mary's Parish records. It seems quite likely that there are more weddings/baptisms, possibly even of Walter Flintoff. I wonder when the family connection with St Mary started?. I have the feeling that he might have had some connections with the City of London.

Any further details you find would be greatly apreciated.

Regards

Jane

birdlip

Hi Jane,

sorry, I don't have access to St Marys records, that entry was just from IGI family search. Walter and Jane's marriage is there too, with the date you have, and Jane is definitely CHESTER at her marriage.

I wonder about the connection to Caroline from Hampshire though. Are you sure its the same family? Just don't want you to go down the wrong track thats all.

regards birdlip

sft456

Hello Birdlip

"I wonder about the connection to Caroline from Hampshire though. Are you sure its the same family? Just don't want you to go down the wrong track thats all"

What is the reason for your doubts?

The 1851 Census recorded a Jane Flintoff visiting Caroline and Chrictopher Haines at Bacons Farm, Bramfield., her age was given as 71. I assumed she might be Caroline's Mother and then found this:

Possible Baptism Record for Caroline Flintoff

Caroline bap 11/9/1813 b Northington, Hants – parents Walter & Jane Flintoff
    Also Frances Flintoff bur 5/4/1821 in Micheldever, Hants aged 9 (possible sibling) b @1812

Then this:

1841 Census Bacons Farm, Bramfield, Herts (moved in @1839?)

Christopher 30 27/11/1810 b Stoke St Milborough, Shropshire Farmer with 80 acres and 2 labourers m 21/10/1835
    at St James Church Piccadilly, son of John & Clara Haines
    Caroline 27 bap 11/9/1813 b Northington, Hampshire? d 1878?
    Henry 4 bap 7/10/1836 b Hertingfordbury
    Fanny 2 Jun 1838 b Hertingfordbury
    Caroline 1 Dec 1840 b Bramfield

Then this:

Christopher Haines m Caroline Flintoff at St James Church Piccadilly on21/10/1835

Jane Chester was the only Jane to marry a Flintoff who was not living in Yorkshire, but Hampshire (I believe Petworth was her place of birth)

Simon

birdlip

Hi Simon/Jane,

I found Caroline's christening record on family history online, and saw that her parents were Walter and Jane Flintoff.

My hesitation was whether it was the SAME Walter and Jane, only because Jane Anne was b in 1816, after Caroline, and still in the same parish they married in. If Jane Chester herself was born in the area though, of course it gives much more weight to the idea.

My apologies, birdlip

sft456

Default The Flintoff's

Hello birdlip

You now have us worried. Can you explain your concern more clearly. we are not sure we understand.

We are unsure as to where Walter & Jane were living during their lifetime. All we do know is that they m in St Mary's and Jane Ann was baptised there. We have no details as to where Caroline was baptised (except her parents were Walter & Jane), but the record should say. Unless the parents came to London for the various baptisms, we must assume they were living in the St Mary's area

Simon

birdlip

Sorry its taken me a while to get back to you. I have grandchildren staying at the moment, so I had a chance to read your post early this morning, but no time to reply until now.

To explain a bit more clearly what I meant; I was concerned there may've been two couples called Walter and Jane Flintoff, one in Marylebone and one in Hampshire. Thats all.

However, it is of course entirely possible there was only one couple called Walter and Jane Flintoff....
    who married in Marylebone in 1804;
    moved to Hampshire and had Caroline baptised there in 1813;
    then back to Marlylebone and had Jane Anne baptised there in 1816.

regards birdlip