Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    lenny

Default DIXON Manchester/Salford

Hi, I'm new to this site but I've been researching family for a couple of years on and off. I'm looking for my gt grandfather, James Dixon and family in 1901.
    So far I've got his marriage to Emily Rodgers in 1884, they were shown as living in St Pauls parish. James was 21 and Emily was 20. The first address I have for them is Goulden Street Fire Station in 1884, from there Jacksons Row Fire Station 1889. On the 1891 census James was living in Dougill Street Hulme (he was now a night watchman at the assizes) with Emily and their children Gilbert, Ralph, Ada and Hilda. Another son, James was born after the 1891 census but I dont have any records for him yet. In 1895 I have a record showing 55 Oldfield Dwellings Salford as the family home. Emily had another son Leonard on 8th April 1901, the address on the birth certificate is 78 Bigland Street Salford, the odd thing is there is no father's name entered. I have'nt been able to find Emily or the rest of the family on the 1901 census. The next address I have is shown on Gilbert's death certificate, he died of Typhoid in 1903, 7 Heaps Building Salford. Sorry if this is a bit long winded but any help in finding records for any of the family would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Len

salcat

seeing as Emily's son Leonard was born so soon after the 1901 census (31.3.1901) have you tried searching to find the Bigland St entry? It would seem strange that she should move house so late in pregnancy!

You can go to 1901census site

and search by address, though it will cost 75p to see the actual page, or if you have access to one of the other sites eg A*** you could trawl through the Salford enumeration district descriptions to find the address (there are quite a lot though!)

HTH

S

lenny

Default 1901 Census

Thanks for your reply, I have already tried searching the address with no luck. I'll not give up yet though.

Len

salcat

Just had a look at the registration for Leonard, and seen he's registered as Leonard Rodgers Dixon. Second names like that (ie surnames) are often a clue to the father of the child, if he wasn't actually the son of James Dixon. Seems possible, especially as no father is given on the certificate.

Who was living in Bigland St at 1901 census? Could you post the reference (piece no and folio).

Thanks

S

lenny

Default DIXON

Hi s, I did the address search some time ago and did'nt keep the details as soon as I saw that the Dixons were'nt there. Emily's surname was Rodgers, she also gave Gilbert her surname as his middle name. It had crossed my mind that James was'nt Leonard's father as I remember being told years ago that he had died before Leonard had grown up. I have'nt been able to find a record of James death yet but I'm still looking.
    regards
    Len

salcat

Sorry - Should have read your original post properly! Oh well - that's another good theory down the drain!

regs

S

birddog

Hi,

There is a Pickford Family living at 78 Bigland Street on the 1901 census Ref RG13-3736-164-14.

No sign of a James or Emily Dixon of the right age but there is a James Dixon aged 23 from Liverpool lodging at number 56

Keith

lenny

Hi Keith, Thanks very much for that info. The James you mention is to old to be Emily's son and to young to be her husband and I do'nt know of any Liverpool connection. It's a coincidence though that someone with the same name as her husband should be living in Bigland Street.

Thanks again, regards

Len

uksearch

It just may also be worthwhile checking for alternative spelling of DIXON such as DICKSON.

UK

lenny

Thanks UK. I will try adding the other spelling to my searches.

regards

Len

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast