Kate Allan

Question RICHARD FOLDS/FOULDS COLNE, LANCS.,

I am trying to trace an ancestor, Richard Folds/foulds born c 1786. He had two sons, JOHN and EMMANUEL. Richard was a Cotton weaver, his son, Emmanuel a Loom overlooker and later a furniture dealer. They lived around the Colne area.

Emmanuel was my great great grandfather but I'm trying to trace his brother John. He dropped off the face of the earth, I think? Where do I start?

Richard must have died sometime but I don't know when.

Also, can anyone tell me who was the mother of these boys, I can find no reference to her, there is a Margaret, born 1811 (is she his daughter or second wife? The boys were born in 1833 (JOHN) and 1837( Emmanuel)

Please

KAte

Jan1954

Hi Kate,

Sorry, but there are more questions:

• When was the last sighting of Richard and John?

• Where were they?

• Did John & Emmanuel have any younger siblings? (I was thinking that, if they did, and we could trace the birth registration, that would provide their mother's name)

• Have you found their baptisms?

Kate Allan

Red face

This is where it gets confusing

On the 1841 census Richard is listed as living in a house with Margaret 30, John 8 and Emmanuel 4, He is listed as being 55

By 1851 there is a Richard living in a house with Martha 33 and a Betty 5, His date of birth is listed as 1788 or thereabouts.

Is this the same person? I did find his birth date mentioned on the NON-Conformist BMD yesterday. I don't think they were church goers!

John Foulds last seen in 1841 in Great Marsden,

Sorry to be so scrambled!

Kate

Jan1954

Richard: it may well be that they are one and the same person. The 1841 census rounded ages down to the nearest 5 years. However, census ages can also be wildly inaccurate (I have one whose age went down by 20 years...)

However, what relationship are Martha and Betty to him in 1851?

Non-conformists: these were probably bigger church-goers than those people who attended the parish church. Far stricter rules - or so I've found with my Baptists!

Do you have the census references for 1841 and 1851, please?

Kate Allan

Census references as follows

1841 census
    Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece 509; Book: 1; Civil Parish: Whalley; County: Lancashire; Enumeration District: 34; Folio: 41; Page: 16; Line: 19;

1851 census
    Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece: 2254; Folio: 384; Page: 24; Cheers, Kate

Jan1954

Thanks for those, Kate.

However, this will have to wait until tomorrow (unless someone else picks it up) as it's gone 01:00am and I need some sleep!

Thanks for the references.

Jan1954

Right. Try to stay with me on this as I'm quite muddled myself

I think that the Richards that you have found in 1841 and 1851 are 2 different people.

Starting in 1851 and working back...

1851:
    Richard is living as Head, widower with unmarried daughter Martha and grandaughter Betty.

1841:

First we have the reference that you found with Richard living with Margaret, John and Emmanuel. Richard's surname is Folds - without the "u"

However, there is also a Richard Foulds living in Newhouse Yard, Colne with Mary (30), Martha (25), Isabella (25), Alice (20 and Elizabeth (4)

I've searched for a suitable Richard in 1851 with the surname Foulds as well as Folds but have not been able to find one. I couldn't see Emmanuel either. However, there are more John Foulds than you can shake a stick at, any one of which may be yours.

So, not much help there, I'm afraid, apart from possible elimination.