ellymay

Smile Murphys of Manchester

Well--I know there were quite a few and that's the problem really!!! the earliest authenticated information I have of this family is a marriage certificate dated 1871 when my great-grandfather Thomas Murphy aged 21, iron finisher married Jane Maddick, aged 25 at St Andrews church Manchester. His father was called Thomas also & he was a 'store keeper'. I think this church is in the Ancoats area behind Piccadilly station. I beleive I have the 1871 census for the Murphy family before Thomas's marriage to (Sarah) Jane. They lived at Cross Court in Hulme and it states that his father, Thomas aged 50, 'hawker' was born in Ireland. This area is not too far away from Chapel street, the address his son & daughter-in-law were married from. His wife (another Jane)aged 52 was born in Manchester, & son Thomas (James) was born in 1851 so I am guessing he was over here prior to this year at least. Would any kind person out there be able to tell me when he came over here and if possible from whereabouts in Ireland?

Thank you

Ellymay

uksearch

Sorry...unless someone has a direct connection to them, I don’t think anyone will be able to wave their magic wand and produce details of your family. I hope someone can prove me wrong. It’s not always easy to track back on where they were living or where they came from. You could check the 1861 Census to see if they were in Manchester. If not you could work back from 1871 checking out the trade directories or the Poor Law Rate Books.

UK