Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    peterg123

Default Brickwalled by Terry b. Corton <1825>

Hi, being in Africa I can hardly search parish records or figure out the fine details of the Birth of George Terry in Corton, Suffolk around 1825, sometimes says abt 1827.

He is certainly around in the 1861 census (Class: RG9; Piece: 1087; Folio: 53; Page: 48 though I can't find a trace in the 1851 and 1841 census.

His wife is Catherine b Newcastle,Ireland. He is listed in the Coastguards from GENUKI links.

I am very anxious to find his parents names/birthplaces, and presume this could only come from locating his birth record or him in earlier census, as by 1861 he is living on his own.

Any help would be much appreciated indeed.

bumblebee

His wife is on the 1851 with children and her mother but no sign of George.

1851 census

Bradwell Near The Sea Essex

Waterside

Mary Sicely 52 Wife's Mother, Married, born Cornwall St Ives.
    Catherina Terry 25 Wife, Married, born Ireland
    Martha Terry 1
    Mary Ann Terry 3

Class: HO107; Piece: 1778; Folio: 248; Page: 5

Mother is called Sicely (surname) and there is a marriage which looks likely, could you send for the certificate as it could have a father's name on it.

Mary Catherine Sicely on the same page as a George Terry

1846 Q4 Maldon Essex 12 311

(Other names are on the same page)

Bumblebee

bumblebee

For £3.50 you can download what could probably be his Seaman's/Coastguard Record from the National Archives Site. - George Terry born Coston, Suffolk, No.75765. This may give you his whereabouts in 1851 and 1841. - the date on this says October 1820 - not sure if that is supposed to be his birthdate..

Bumblebee

bumblebee

The IGI has an extracted entry for a George Terry christened in Corton, Suffolk, 3rd September 1826, Father George Terry, Mother Ann Welch.

bumblebee

There is also an extracted marriage entry for an Ann Welch and George Terry, 8th June 1824, Gorleston with Southtown, Suffolk.

peterg123

Smile Many Thanks

Well done bumblebee.....very grateful. The fact that there were 4 King's George has meant George is one of the most accursed names in British Geneaology. Indeed between 1800 and 1900 who is NOT called George?

bumblebee

I know what you mean about George, William is another name that puts in a fairly regular appearance in my tree.

Good luck with the rest of the research.

Bumblebee

peterg123

Default The Appalling 1861/1871 census

What a slog these census are on ancesry.co.uk, or maybe it's just me. I have clear births and no deaths for Martha Clara Terry and Elizabeth Terry and Mary Ann Terry all born of George and Mary Catherine Terry as we have jointly traced.

However in the next two census on ancestry co uk there is no record I can find of them.

Of course George was at sea sometimes, probably why he was not counted in 1851 census you kindly looked up for me.

The 1881 is a brilliant census. What gives with these others? They seem very poor quality??

peterg123

Thumbs up To Bumblebee

Thanks for the following, and I have even made some progress with the vague 1841 and 51 census.

The IGI has an extracted entry for a George Terry christened in Corton, Suffolk, 3rd September 1826, Father George Terry, Mother Ann Welch.

bumblebee

There is also an extracted marriage entry for an Ann Welch and George Terry, 8th June 1824, Gorleston with Southtown, Suffolk.

You gavethis entry and it has helped but I cannot find a death for the said George Terry nor any way to get to his own parents and find out his father's and mothers names or birthplaces.

I am learning fast, but wonder if your experience might provide ideas on how to get past this problem.

Have a Good One....Kenya I hope will not agan go up in flames this month!

peterg123

[QUOTE=peterg123;153595]Thanks for the following, and I have even made some progress with the vague 1841 and 51 census.

bumblebee

You gavethis entry and it has helped but I cannot find a death for the said George Terry nor any way to get to his own parents and find out his father's and mothers names or birthplaces.

I should mention the last post should have separated the George Terry. George Terry's (Corton) father and mother I do of course know. They are George Terry and Ann Welch (Gorleston).

What nI meant was, how to trace the birthplaces/dates and after that the possible parents of George (Goreston)..Is it Via IGI since the earlier census are not online?
    Thanks again!

peterg123

Lightbulb Correction to Last Posts

I should mention the last post should have separated the George Terrys. George Terry's (Corton) father and mother I do of course know. They are George Terry and Ann Welch (Gorleston) thanks to Bumblebee

What I meant was, how to trace their birthplaces/dates and after that the possible parents of George/Ann (Gorelston)..Is it Via IGI since the earlier census are not online?

Thanks again!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast