Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    bumblebee

Hi

This is the reference for the 1861 census

Class: RG9; Piece: 1087; Folio: 53; Page: 48

This is the reference for the 1871 - No 2 Coast guard Street. (Transcribed as Ferry)

RG10 Piece 1668 Folio:158 Page:9

You just have to get used to 'the' site to get the best out of it, don't be too specific in your search criteria. It is not bad census information you are dealing with but transcription errors. There are of course missing pieces from all the census.

Bumblebee

bumblebee

As regards taking the family further back then the parish records are the only way to go. Obviously as you are too far away to visit Record Offices you may be able to get someone to do a look-up for you if you post a request. Keep trawling the IGI as the records available do change.

As regards the later deaths and births you can purchase certificates from the GRO online and sometimes you just have to order a certificate and hope it is the correct one. There are a couple of birth registration possible entries for Flora for instance.

Bumblebee

bumblebee

There is a possible marriage for Martha Clara Terry in 1872 Rochford Essex, to either Harry Barker or Frederick Charles Billett. (I would plump for Harry Barker going by the census).

Bumblebee

suffolk sue

On the Suffolk Marriage Index 1813 = 1837, it says that when George Terry married Ann Welsh, he was a widower.

suffolk sue

There are more children baptised to George and Ann on the IGI and I think this has led me to find the family in 1841.

Ann Letitia Terry = 24 FEB 1828 Corton

Letitia Terry = 27 MAR 1825 Corton

Martha Terry = About 1832 Kessingland, Suffolk

Mary Ann Terry = 17 OCT 1830 Corton

Thomas Terry = 10 MAY 1829 Corton

=================

HO107/1121/3 = Brighton, Sussex
    Folio 8 and 9, Pages 9 and 10
    Colebrook Row

TERRY
    George = 52 = occupation unclear.
    Ann - 44
    Ann = 13
    Thomas = 12
    Mary = 10
    Martha = 9
    James = 7
    Matthew = 5
    Sarah = 2

They are all born out of the county, except George, where its stated he was born in the county.

==============

The family is here in 1851, still in Sussex, George senior was born in West Wittering, Sussex.

HO107; Piece: 1645; Folio: 209; Page: 11

Apologies if you already have this info.

suffolk sue

Burial
    from National Burial Index.

George TERRY
    Date of burial: 22 Nov 1853
    Age at death: 64
    Calculated year of birth: 1789
    Place of burial: Brighton
    St Nicholas/hanover Chapel
    Sussex

=========

George Terry
    Dec qtr.
    Brighton
    Volume: 2b
    Page: 114

suffolk sue

HO107/327/12 = Burnham, Essex
    Folio 19, Page 4
    Silver Lane

SICELY
    Hugh = 40 = navy
    Mary = 40
    William = 14
    Catherine = 12
    Edward = 10
    Martha = 7
    John = 3
    Elizabeth = 4 months

all born out of county, except Catherine in Ireland and Elizabeth in Essex.

===============

Burial

James SICELY
    Date of burial: 24 Jan 1855
    Age at death: 30 Months
    Calculated year of birth: 1853
    Place of burial: Burnham on Crouch
    St Mary the Virgin
    Essex

==============

In 1861, the Sicelys are living next door to the Terrys.

suffolk sue

More burials

Hugh SICILY
    Date of burial: 9 Feb 1878
    Age at death: 80
    Calculated year of birth: 1798
    St Mary the Virgin
    Essex

Hugh Sicily
    Mar qtr.
    Age at Death: 80
    Maldon (1837-1972)
    County: Essex
    Volume: 4a
    Page: 169

=================

Mary SICILY
    Date of burial: 30 Dec 1872
    Age at death: 72
    Calculated year of birth: 1800
    Dedication: St Mary the Virgin
    Essex

Mary Sicily
    Dec qtr.
    Age at Death: 72
    Maldon (1837-1972)
    County: Essex
    Volume: 4a
    Page: 141

peterg123

Thumbs up Astounding!

Because my internet connection is slow, maybe it just got me blurry eyed, though I did take a mental note on the Sussex and Wittering "Terry" (on Free BMD) you mentioned and researched, if only because the habits of sailors ( I just saw this in Madagascar with very tribal ones who were sea nomads) were semi nomadic and tended to never move far from Coasts and preferred to move up and down them).

There is also James F. Sicely also active in the coastguards around the time as George and Hugh and very near either in Essex or Suffolk. He is also born in Ireland just south of Catherine. I learned Coastguards were often stationed in Ireland from England.

Hugh Sicely was born in St. Ives also his wife and there is another Sicely I saw born in Devon, Torquay I think. I can't get more info on Hugh, but he is obviously "the padrone" as the Italians say of his family and used his influence to get other nautical Siceleys into a good job.

Interesting here is that my G-G George William Terry (3) b. Bradwell 1852 married Mary catherine Sicely as his second wife c 1878 when his first ( Harriet Hollis..a complete blank on backresearching her so far) died from childbirth complications giving birth to my G-Aunt Ethel Evelyn ( I have deduced this from her dying just weeks after giving birth).

One imagines a scenario where Geo William (3), raised in Coastguards, is suddenly bereaved and calls upon a childhood friend Mary Catherine Sicely, also from coastguard "growing up together", to marry him.

She lived to the ripe age of 91, dying in 1916 in Medway, and is the "Grande Dame" along with the very fertile Ann Welch, of our family.

Perhaps you have different software and search capabilities in UK but I will certainly follow up your superb leads.

Being called George Terry was about as helpful as being called John Smith in the 19th Century.

However the Sicelys do bear more examination. There is a complete clan of them, all Essex people later on and the odd Devon one. My theory, which I can't confirm as I can't so far get to origins of Hugh Sicely and his Wife) is that they were Cornwall/Devon nautical people ( tho where before St.Ives?) who moved to the East coast and a large clan of Sicelys all around Essex in the 19th 20th C's are all descended from the Hugh branch. A few others spent time in Ireland.

Or just as likely, Hugh was in the RN and posted from Cornwall to Newcatle,Ire and there married and was later moved to the coastguards East Coast of England. You could not get into the CGs unless you were ex-RN

You are a great help, anything you can find on originating Sicelys (spellings Sisly, Siceley etc) in Southern England would be fascinating...like I say you have either rescources, and certainly experience, that defeats me.

My old Mum, 81, widowed in Kenya, is totally thrilled with my weekly chapters of her almost totally unknown family. So the dead console and interest the living.

Many Thanks Peter

peterg123

Default Suffolk Sue, More Finds

Dear Sue,

Thanks to your wonderful ability, the Perry in the HO107; Piece: 1645; Folio: 209; Page: 11 1851 is indeed Terry and, he is a Superintendent Coast Guard from the very scratchy writing that I can hardly read. Perfect!

This has led me to learn the IGI better and I find a slew of Terry's born in W.Wittiringham and Newhaven, Sussex, and going furter, one born in Felling Sussex, all of which are coastal towns. I am trying to untangle them and it's confusing:

George Terry c. 10 Feb 1791 W Witt, father James, mother Mary
    James Terry c. 12 May 1765 W Witt fr John, m Eliza BUT! f John b 1840 Newhaven m. Elizabeth folllowed by further 12 children!
    John Terry b 1723 W.Witt m Ann Barnes 1848 W.Witt
    John Terry c21 May 1849 W Witt d 28 Aug 1850 W.Witt p John and Ann

It makes my head spin in contrast to your experienced cool one.

Cheers :-) Happy Peter

PS At this rate I hope to end up in the Domesday book.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12