Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    davidyoung

Default sounds like "Nees Furgun"

I am trying to trace my gr gr grandmother to Ireland. I have very little information. Her name was Margaret Norwood. She was born in 1845 and my first record is in Ontario Canada in 1868 when she is married and has her first child.

Various US census forms list her as being born in "Ireland," until the 1930 census says "Northern Ireland."

In the 1920 census, the enumerator wrote "Neesfergan" after crossing out "Ireland"

I cannot find a town by that spelling via Google. It occurs to me that the enumerator would have written down what he heard (rather than what was being said), so here's my (very strange) question:

Can anyone think of a town or village or region in northern Ireland that sounds like "Nees Furgun"

thanks

Jan1954

Blimey!

Well, there are only 6 counties in Northern Ireland:
    Antrim
    Armagh
    Down
    Fermanagh
    Londonderry
    Tyrone

So, I was wondering if the enumerator was copying bad handwriting of whomever completed the form and it said North Fermanagh.

Just a suggestion...

Jan1954

David,

If the above idea sounds a bit shonky, take a wander through the pages here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...rthern_Ireland

Good luck,

KateJones

Could the Nees part be Ennis - Irish "island"? I've tried Ennis Fergan on Google with no luck, but I wonder if someone was saying that they came from Ennis whatever, it might have been misheard as Nees.
    Regards
    KJ

davidyoung

Thanks - my problem is that an Americn English-speaking person wrote down what an Irish-Englsih [pardon] person said. It sounded to the American that she said "Neees [like niece] ferugun"

Is Ennis pronounced en neees?

Thanks for the suggestion of the place names. Again, my problem is that I pronounce those names in "grino" English rather than Celtic English.

Dave

JacquiA

Hi

Try playing with this site

www.seanruad.com/ might help.

jacqui

MarkJ

Quote Originally Posted by davidyoung View Post
    Again, my problem is that I pronounce those names in "grino" English rather than Celtic English.

Dave
    Argh! You can't say that Dave English and Celtic are two different things. It is like French and German. You probably meant British - which is OK.
    It is made more complex because there are two distinct forms of Celtic languages in the UK. The one spoken by some of us on the board is what is known as Brythonic Celtic - used by the Welsh, Cornish and Bretons.
    Not sure if we have any speakers of the Goidelic form of Celtic language on the forum. Ennis in Cornish is pronounced as you would imagine, like tennis without the T.

For anyone interested, there are four distinct Celtic languages, of which the two I mentioned are found in Britain.There are some common (or nearly so) words between the two forms in the UK, such as the word for lake (lough in Irish, loch in Scots, logh in Cornish etc) but there are some huge differences. I can understand much of what a person who speaks Breton says for example, somewhat less of a Welsh person (but quite a lot) but little of the Irish language.

And here endeth todays Language course

Apologies for my little ramble!

Mark

Edit: There is Lough Neagh in the north of Ireland, near Belfast. Also nearby is Lurgan, so wondering if he said Neagh, Lurgan? Or "near Lurgan"?

get2BJ

Quote Originally Posted by davidyoung View Post

In the 1920 census, the enumerator wrote "Neesfergan" after crossing out "Ireland".....
    Can anyone think of a town or village or region in northern Ireland that sounds like "Nees Furgun"

thanks
    Are you able to post an image of the actual document you have found this wording on so that we can give you a fresh take on what it may say or mean? You will need to put it on Photobucket or something similar first then link the URL to your post. If you have any problems just shout and one of us will be able to help.

Brenda

KateJones

Quote Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
    For anyone interested, there are four distinct Celtic languages, of which the two I mentioned are found in Britain.
    Mark
    OK, so I'm alright with Goidelic (Scottish Celtic, Irish Celtic, Manx) and Brythonic (Welsh, Breton, Cornish) - but which other Celtic languages are there?

davidyoung - I know that you have said Northern Ireland, however, there is an Ennis in County Clare with a place called Feaghquin nearby (a few km to the east). I have no expertise in pronouncing Feaghquin, but I would expect it to be fairly near to "Fergun".

Good idea about looking at the original Brenda.

Best Regards
    KJ

MarkJ

Quote Originally Posted by KateJones View Post
    OK, so I'm alright with Goidelic (Scottish Celtic, Irish Celtic, Manx) and Brythonic (Welsh, Breton, Cornish) - but which other Celtic languages are there?
    Theoretically, there were Gaulish and Celtiberian as well. Those two were spoken in parts of Europe, but are now extinct. What they were like, I have no idea.
    Only the Brythonic and Goidelic languages still exist and are spoken to my knowledge, but there could be an odd speaker of the others I suppose somewhere!

Mark

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast