Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    davidyoung

Quote Originally Posted by get2BJ View Post
    Are you able to post an image of the actual document you have found this wording on so that we can give you a fresh take on what it may say or mean? You will need to put it on Photobucket or something similar first then link the URL to your post. If you have any problems just shout and one of us will be able to help. Brenda
    Wednesday (my time) I will try to post a jpeg scan of the census sheet. I need to learn how to use a photohosting site.

Thanks to all for the lanuage lessons.

By the time "nees fergun" was uttered in 1920, the Irish lass had been in English-speaking Ontario Canada for 20 years and then in American English speaking Detroit Michigan for 30 years, so I have no idea what accent might have been present!

Dave
    Last edited by davidyoung; 16-04-2008 at 12:29 AM. Reason: poor typing

davidyoung

My apologies if this is a double posting.

Here is a link to the scan of the census page. The person is at line 13: Margaret Young and the column is "birthplae of the person"

https://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...troit_1920.jpg

Thanks again for everyone who is trying to solve this puzzle. You will probably need an image viewing application to magnify it once you downlaod it. If I did something wrong, please email me dny at mac dot com

Thanks
    Dave

KateJones

Quote Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
    Theoretically, there were Gaulish and Celtiberian as well.
    Mark
    Of course! I was thrown by the use of 'are' in your previous quote, I was thinking in the present day - these were eliminated by the might of Latin. I'd be interested to know if they left any traces on French, Spanish or Catalan - perhaps in place names - anyone know? Who knows what might have happened in Britain if the Romans had not left? Perhaps we'd all be speaking a relative of the other Romance languages - what would it be called - British?
    KJ

davidyoung

Quote Originally Posted by KateJones View Post
    Who knows what might have happened in Britain if the Romans had not left? Perhaps we'd all be speaking a relative of the other Romance languages - what would it be called - British?
    KJ
    FWIW, my wife says that English IS a Romance Language, when I speak it properly . . . .
    Last edited by davidyoung; 16-04-2008 at 1:33 PM. Reason: typo

get2BJ

Hi Dave,

I looked at your image and as you say it's difficult to read in its present format. Would you be able to rescan just the relevant part of the image at the best resolution you can, resize so that it's bigger and download that to Photobucket?

I've tried a few different ways of enlarging it/zooming in etc, but the quality gets poorer the bigger you try to make the image. Sorry to have to ask you to do it again but I'm itching to get to the bottom of this problem!
    Brenda

davidyoung

Quote Originally Posted by get2BJ View Post
    Hi Dave,

I looked at your image and as you say it's difficult to read in its present format. Would you be able to rescan just the relevant part of the image at the best resolution you can, resize so that it's bigger and download that to Photobucket?
    Brenda
    Brenda, I appreciate your willingness to help. If you contact me at dny at mac dot com, I will email the image to you directly.

Famous for offering help & advice

I haven't been able to view the image any bigger than at Photobucket, but my impression is that, like, most other entries on the page, it says Michigan.

Arthur

davidyoung

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Kennedy View Post
    t my impression is that, like, most other entries on the page, it says Michigan.Arthur
    My cousin thinks tht it says Michigan too, but the first letter is not the same as the "M" in the Michigans on the rest of the page. It has one "hump" and that is why I interpret it to be an "N" - thanks for your help!

Also, I know from census entries dateing from 1880 that she claimed Ireland has her place of birth.

Mutley

This is the best I can do,
    Sorry it don't help much.

I have access to the American census returns on Ancestry, where I can blow it up to 200%, and I have to say it looks like Michigan to me as well. The US enumerators never wrote exact place names for overseas countries - just Ireland, England etc. It could just be an enumerator error!
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast