Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    MythicalMarian

Thanks, Geoffers - I could scan the bond as a PDF and e-mail if you like. But it seems to be one of those 'set bonds' where all the legalese is in a different hand, and gaps have been left just for the names of individuals etc.

Your comment about ring-fencing the funds may well ring true, as in this same man's will he was very anxious to make it known that the money left for his daughters (including this Ann who was by then married) was not to be under the control of their husbands in any way.

I wonder if he undertook similar bonds for his other girls, but these have not survived? Is that possible? If not, then it may well be the case that Ann was perhaps born before wedlock, or even that his wife Ann was pregnant at the time of the wedding. From other wills I have gathered that this family had a few 'grasping' relatives, so I wonder if Richard was making a very clear statement that the baby was his daughter, in case anyone challenged it.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by MythicalMarian
    I wonder if he undertook similar bonds for his other girls, but these have not survived? Is that possible?
    If the bonds have been made as codicils to the will, I would expect them to have survived with the will. Bonds made as private arrangements other htan as part of a will may not have survived.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythicalmarian
    If not, then it may well be the case that Ann was perhaps born before wedlock
    I think this is the most likely explanation for the codicil and bond

this family had a few 'grasping' relatives, so I wonder if Richard was making a very clear statement that the baby was his daughter, in case anyone challenged it.
    I would draw the same inference from the information available.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12