Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    chocolate

I have finally finished, that was hard work, but i did enjoy it! As i am a total newbie, i took the quiz to the WDYTYA yesterday and asked the experts. You would be amazed how many did not have the answers. I won't tell what some experts thought an "MI" was! A very nice man on the National Achieves stand put me right, and that was an hour after going round the military section as i was told it was to do with WW1, well i supoose it is connected now i know the answer!

Will PM my answers over and fingers crossed! Even if i do not win, this was a great intro to family history and a good talking point, so thank you very much.

busyglen

Fingers crossed that you got them all right! Would be a feather in your cap if you won first time out wouldn't it?

Good luck.

Glenys

Jan1954

Less than a week to go to the closing date!

Those of you who I met at WDYTYA - don't forget to have a go. Send in your entries by clicking on my name and choosing the option in the drop-down box to send me a private message.

Good luck!

chocolate

Just gotta think of the tie breaker now.......... and thats taken me longer than the questions took!

Jan1954

3 days and counting...

Jan1954

The closing date is midnight tomorrow (BST) so get those answers in!

chocolate

Thats it, i have finally entered my answers.

It took longer than expected as I was searching for the last few answers and got carried away. The British Library website is great! I have learnt lots and really enjoyed it.

Good luck to all who have entered....

Jan1954

This is your last chance!

In order to win this terrific little book you need to enter.

Good luck to those of you who have and to those of you who will - by midnight tonight (UK BST)!

Jan1954

Default And the answers are...

1. Which online site offers free access to most of the birth, marriage and death registrations? FreeBMD
    2. Where is The National Archives (TNA) based? Kew
    3. On which date(s) did the 1881 census take place? Sun/Mon. 3/4th April 1881
    4. On which date did registration for births, marriages and deaths start in England and Wales? July 1st 1837
    5. For people aged 15 and over, the 1841 census rounded ages down. By how many years? Five
    6. Where is the British Library’s Newspaper Reading Room? British Library Newspapers, Colindale Avenue, London, NW9 5HE
    7. You have the name and year of the person whose birth certificate you want. Which 3 other things will help you to hopefully order the correct one? Registration District, Volume number and Page number
    8. What are MIs? Memorial Inscriptions
    9. Who sponsors British-Genealogy.com? Forces War Records
    10. What would be the occupation of a Maltster? Brewer, someone who made or sold malts
    11. What is referred to, in England and Wales, by the initials GRO? General Register Office
    12. What is another name for a “House of Industry”? Workhouse
    13. A common cause of death used to be Consumption. By what name is this now better known? TB (Tuberculosis)
    14. What are Bishops Transcripts? Bishops' Transcripts - are copies of the annual entries into the parish registers sent to the local Bishop (from about 1598)
    15. Where in London may you obtain copies of wills from 1858? The Probate Office, Holborn

When Mr P gets back from the coalface, I shall ask him to pick the winner. He is totally impartial, having no interest in family history, but has agreed to do this as the tie-breaker would have to be something that would pique his interest.

Catch you all later...

Jan1954

Default And the winner is...

So, after a day driving an ambulance, Mr P has come in and made his decision.

He has decided that, with the tie-break of "I was nosey about a 110 year old marriage certificate" the winner is....

(drum roll, please...)

Helen57

So congratulations to Helen57!

Please PM me your address and I will post the prize out to you.

Thank you to all who took part.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast