robinadexter

Default Edmonds in Newmarket:Cambs or Suffolk?

Merry Xmas All
    I am seeking the birth of my great grandfather Benjamin David EDMONDS (son of Samuel EDMONDS) who, according to the arithmetic based on his marriage and death certs. and from census entries from 1871 on, was born in 1827. The censuses give his birthplace as Newmarket, Cambridgeshire. Any attempts to pursue him in this county have so far met with the reply 'but Newmarket is/was in Suffolk'. No prizes for guessing what I am told if I seek help in Suffolk!

I am willing to go to Archive Offices or buy CDs if I can only be sure where to go or which to buy. So, apart from sightings of Ben himself, I'd be grateful for general advice.

Thanks
    Robina

robinadexter

Default Edmonds, Newmarket and Mythology

Thank you, those who responded, for all the interesting replies, links etc. I shall read, learn and inwardly digest.
    I think I have pointed out elsewhere the wonderful oddities of Family trees: some branches are so long and loaded they groan under the weight of information, whilst others barely merit the description 'twig' ... and it's those damn twigs that fascinate us and demand our attention.
    I'll find you yet, Benjamin!
    happy New year, all!
    Robina

lizziebeth

Hello Robina,not sure if this will be of any use to you, but i live in bury st edmunds, and if you wanted, i could drop by the records office for you in the new year to look up information you require. i am quite new to this, so it would be a good experience for me, as i seem to be chasing my own ancestors all over scotland!! regards carol

robinadexter

Default Edmonds lookup

Quote Originally Posted by lizziebeth
    Hello Robina,not sure if this will be of any use to you, but i live in bury st edmunds, and if you wanted, i could drop by the records office for you in the new year to look up information you require. i am quite new to this, so it would be a good experience for me, as i seem to be chasing my own ancestors all over scotland!! regards carol
    Hallo Carol
    If you could find the birth of Benjamin Edmonds (father Samuel) in or around 1827, I should be VERY grateful.

Thanks
    Robina
    (Happy New Year)

lizziebeth

happy new year robina, i will pay a visit to the records office as soon as i can and hopefully find some useful information for you, and post the result of my visit here.

Carol

robinadexter

Thanks Carol
    Feel free to post a private message if you prefer.
    Good luck! (and I mean that most sincerely!!)
    Robina

lizziebeth

Just to update you, the records office in Bury will be closed until Jan 17th for essential maintenance work. So please dont think i have forgotten! I will go as soon as they re-open.
    Carol

lizziebeth

Hello Robina,
    Hope you get to read this, i will post a similar message in the suffolk site!! I am still looking for your elusive Benjamin, cannot find him on 1841 census for Newmarket St Mary, and as Newmarket All Saints is under Cambridgeshire, cannot look at that at SRO! I did find a copy of his marriage cert to Sarah on fiche though, probably information you already have, but if you dont haver all the details i would be glad to pass them on. He was living in Benhall at the time of his marriage, and would you believe it, pre-1881 that was in the east of the county(as far as census goes) and those records are at Ipswich!! Do not despair, at least we know he's here or hereabouts!!
    Regards
    Carol

robinadexter

Thanks Carol
    Yes I do have Ben and Sarah's wedding certificate. By 1871, they were in Ufford. When I very first 'drew' my family tree, Sarah appeared as 'Unknown'. It hadn't helped that Ben was down as 'married' in the censuses AFTER she had died in 1873! I had a breakthrough with her and her (BATHO) line goes back to the 16th century, whilst good old Benjamin is still hiding. Thanks for all your trouble. Feel free to abandon ship when you've had enough!
    All the best - Robina