Sue G

Question Emily Livermore, born in Southminster or Felstead

Can anyone help me track down Emily Livermore? She was born sometime between 1858 and 1864 (her age is given as 17 in the 1881 census and 42 in 1901), either in Southminster (1881 census) or Felstead (1901). I think her mother was called Hannah, but it would be good to know her father’s name.

She was my husband's great grandmother.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Sue G
    Can anyone help me track down Emily Livermore? She was born sometime between 1858 and 1864 (her age is given as 17 in the 1881 census and 42 in 1901), either in Southminster (1881 census) or Felstead (1901). I think her mother was called Hannah, but it would be good to know her father’s name. She was my husband's great grandmother.
    Emily's marriage certificate should show her father's name, do you have this document yet? If not, it should be high on your research priorities.

The 1881 census actually shows two people called Emily Livermore, born in Essex about the right time. One born Felsted and t'other born Southminster. Could you have confused the 1881 census entries? The two entries from 1881 are:

RG11/1773 f117 p25
    Cottage High St, Southminster
    Hannah LIVERMORE, hd, wid, 57, carrier, bn Farmbridge
    William LIVERMORE, son, 18, carrier, bn Southminster
    Emily LIVERMORE, dau, 17, bn Southminster
    Annie LIVERMORE, dau, 12, scholar, bn Southminster

RG11/1806 f71 p7
    Bovington Hall Cottage, Bocking
    Arthur LIVERMORE, hd, mar, 47, farm bailiff, bn Felsted
    Martha LIVERMORE, wf, mar, 50, dairywoman, bn Felsted
    Emily LIVERMORE, servant, unm, 15, dom.servt, bn Felsted

Geoffers
    Cahrlbury, Oxfordshire

Geoffers

ALso, Freebmd
    https://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl
    has just one birth recorded:

Mar 1864, LIVERMORE, Emily, Maldon, 4a, 220

Though the website is not a complete record of the GRO index which you can either see on a pay-per-view website 1837 online or at the family Records Centre (FRC) in London, or on fiches at many Local Studies' Libraries in England and Wales.

Geoffers
    Charlbury, Oxfordshire
    Last edited by Guest; 07-10-2007 at 6:16 PM.

Sue G

Smile Emily

Geoffers, many thanks - I think you may have found my problem - the second Emily, born in Felsted would tie in with the birthplace given for Emily in 1901. I know the 1901 one is the right one, living in Brighton and married to Samuel Ince. I had not previously found her in the 1881 census - don't know why! Although she is referred to as a servant, do you think that Arthur and Martha are her parents? "My" Emily's youngest son was called Arthur .....

I will pursue her further.

In 1881 Samuel was a footmen in a very grand hosuehiold in Eaton Square in London (he later worked on Brighton railway station where he was killed in an accident just weeks after the 1901 census). So far, I have no clues to where they married, although I've searched on 1837 - I'll try again now it's a little easier to use.

Geoffers

[QUOTE=Sue G]the second Emily, born in Felsted would tie in with the birthplace given for Emily in 1901. I know the 1901 one is the right one, living in Brighton and married to Samuel Ince..........Although she is referred to as a servant, do you think that Arthur and Martha are her parents? "My" Emily's youngest son was called Arthur]

She could certainly have been working for family, and although she may possibly have been the daughter of Arthur and Martha, I would suggest that she would probably have been shown as their daughter had this been the case. However, you shouldn't discard the possibility until you can identify her parents by some other means. I would suggest that a search of the 1871 census might be the first place to try.

You might also try ordering Emily's birth certificate. I found the following entry in the GRO index of births, which seems to fit:

Mar 1866, LIVERMORE, Emily, Dunmow, vol.4a page 337

Geoffers
    Charlbury, Oxfordshire

Sue G

Smile Emily L

Thanks for takign the time to search. I'll follow that up. Is Dunmow near Felsted? (My son-in-law has relations in Dunmow .....)

Sue G
    Wiltshire

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Sue G
    Thanks for takign the time to search. I'll follow that up. Is Dunmow near Felsted? (My son-in-law has relations in Dunmow .....)
    On my map, Gt Dunmow looks to be about 3-4 miles WNW of Felsted
    Geoffers