Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Jams

Default marriage lookup Rumney

I am trying to find information on a marriage between William Rumney & Martha Anderson, I think they were married in England sometime between 1901 and 1906. Martha emigrated to arizona in 1906 as Martha Rumney but I cant find any information of when William emigrated although it should have been between 1901 and 1906 also. I am new to this research so would appreciate information on websites that I can search for this marriage.

Jan1954

Hello Jams,

I have found this on FreeBMD, which will probably muddy the waters. However, it seemed a bit of a coincidence:

Marriages Mar 1904
    Anderson Martha Rumney Whitehaven 10b 887
    Crewdson Alexander W Whitehaven 10b 887
    Kerr Mary Whitehaven 10b 887
    RIGG William Henry Whitehaven 10b 887

I don't know whether she married Alexander or William, but the combination of names stood out.

What do you think?

Wirral

FreeBMD lists 2 children with surname RIGG & mother's name ANDERSON; Ada M. b.1911, Thomas H. b.1915, both in Whitehaven.

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by Wirral View Post
    FreeBMD lists 2 children with surname RIGG & mother's name ANDERSON; Ada M. b.1911, Thomas H. b.1915, both in Whitehaven.

Hmmm - and Mr Rigg's first name was William...

Wirral

Manifest for SS Etruria sailing from Liverpool 30 Sep 1905, arriving New York 7 Oct 1905:
    Martha RUMNEY, 27, female, wife, British, speaks English, can read & write, last residence - Cleaton Moor, has ticket for final destination, going to Bisbee, has not been in US before, has $35, she paid for the tickets for her & her daughter, going to join husband W. RUMNEY PO Box 1738 Bisbee. Also with her is their daughter Annabel age 2years 6mths.

You may be pleased to know the following as well: she was not a polygamist or an anarchist; she had not been in prison or an almshouse or an institution for care & treatment of the insane or supported by a charity; she was in good health; she was not deformed or crippled; she was not going there to work!

Jan1954

...and a bit about the ship:

ETRURIA 1884
    8,128 gross tons, length overall 519ft x beam 57.2ft, two funnels, three masts (rigged for sails), single screw and a service speed of 19 knots. She consumed 315 tons of coal per day. There was accommodation for 550-1st and 800-2nd class passengers.

Built by John Elder & Co, Fairfield for the Cunard Steamship Co, she was a sister ship to the UMBRIA. Launched on 20th Sep.1884, her trials were followed by a 'shakedown' delivery cruise to Liverpool and she was then hurriedly prepared as an Armed Merchant Cruiser, but the order to install guns was cancelled and she was returned to her owners.

On 24th Apr.1885 she left Liverpool on her maiden voyage to Queenstown (Cobh) and New York. She made several record passages, the fastest being in May 1888 from Queenstown to Sandy Hook, NY in 6days 1hr 55min at an average speed of 19.56 knots. Refitted in 1893, her sailing rig was removed and her accommodation altered to carry 500-1st, 160-2nd and 800-3rd class passengers. In 1897 she attended Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee 'Pageant of Shipping' in the River Mersey.

Fitted with wireless in 1901 and in 1902 she lost her propeller. Rigged with jury staysails she tried to sail to the Azores, but the SS WILLIAM CLIFF took her in tow to Fayal, Azores. Cunard chartered the Royal Mail Steam Packet Co ship EBRO to bring home the passengers while the ETRURIA was towed to Liverpool.

In Oct.1906 she left New York in fog, was forced to anchor and was collided with by the liner MINNEHAHA. Repaired, she continued service until starting her final voyage to New York on 9th Sep.1909. Laid up at Liverpool, she was sold in November 1909 and scrapped at Preston.[Merchant Fleets by Duncan Haws, vol.12, Cunard Line]

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by Wirral View Post
    Also with her is their daughter Annabel age 2years 6mths.
    Births Jun 1903

Rumney Emma Bell Whitehaven 10b 760

Jams

oh wow thanks heaps you have been very helpful although the Rigg name does muddy the waters a bit. Although I know there is a Rigg connection, I am just not 100% sure where this fits.I think William Rumneys little sister Tamar who married John Rigg is the connection but am still working on that.The Anderson/Rigg with the two children in 1911 and 1915 doesnt fit as Martha was in Arizona then with William ( and then Joseph but that is later on). I knew about her sailing on the Etruria with Annabel but the birth of Emma Bell in 1903 is great as the Arizona 1910 census lists Martha, William, Ema B, Reta and Whilemine - the last two children being born in Arizona. The 1920 census has Anne Rumney so I had already thought that Annabel and Ema B were possibly the same person as the ages seemed to match up. Im thinking now - how do I find who is listed as the father of Emma B - is it William Rumney or William Rigg??

Jams

just thinking now, Emma B Rumney was born in 1903, the marriage listed above was between Martha Rumney Anderson & William Rigg(possibly) in 1904 and in 1905 Martha Rumney was going to Arizona to join her husband -William Rumney -dont know how all this would fit -this is confusing me as I dont know why she already has Rumney in her name( if it is the same person but it seems a big coincidence) - could she have married a Rumney in 1902/03 had Emma, then married Rigg in 1904, then Rumney again in 1905????

Jams

I have found now the Martha I am looking for is Martha Johnson not Martha Anderson, sorry but I have put you on a wrong track

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast