Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Jams View Post
    I have found now the Martha I am looking for is Martha Johnson not Martha Anderson, sorry but I have put you on a wrong track
    Hi Jams,
    In that case it would seem that you need the marriage certificate of the William Rumney who married in Whitehaven registration district in Sept quarter 1901. There is a bride listed on the same page as Martha Johnston. Note the slight difference in the surname. This could have been an error made when the register office forwarded details of the marriage to the GRO, an error made when the GRO themselves did the indexing, or the actual spelling on the certificate, so when ordering the certificate it would be best to quote only William's name. If you quote other names/details which differ in the minutest way from those on the certificate then the GRO say they don't have that certificate, but still charge you 4 quid for telling you. (And these errors extend to ones made by you on the application form so double-check all the details before you press 'submit'.)
    You can find the details needed to order the certificate at
    https://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl
    Select marriages, then enter William Rumney, September 1901, in the relevant boxes.
    When you have the result, if you click on the page number you will see a llist of the other people listed on the same page.
    To the right of William's name is a 'specs' symbol. Click on that, and follow the links to the original GRO Index page, and then check that the registration district, the volume number and the page number agree with the details on FreeBMD, then you can order the certificate. If you have plastic then you can order online
    https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/
    GBP7.00.
    This page might also be helpful
    https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/or...ates/index.asp
    And this one will tell you virtually everything you could possibly want to know about English and Welsh BMD certificates.
    https://www.dixons.clara.co.uk/Certificates/indexbd.htm
    If you need anything clarifying, please yell.
    Pam
    Last edited by Pam Downes; 07-07-2008 at 6:55 AM. Reason: Added a word to make sense, and corrected spelling mistake

Alan Welsford

Good advice from Pam, and I must admit that for marriages I normally only apply for the certificate in the name of one party only.

However, it is my belief that if the spelling of the name(s) that you put on the application exactly matches what's in the GRO indexes, then they will issue the certificate, even if what's actually in the transcript of the register is a different spelling.

I've certainly seen examples where what went on the application was the spelling from the indexes, but the actual spelling on the certificate received was subtly different.

Alan

By the way....

I've yet to hear how the GRO handle cases where their index is demonstrably corrupted, and you apply for a certificate with the correct details, knowing their index to be wrong. An example came up recently where the registration district "Bridge" had been corrupted to "Bristol" as new typescript indexes had been made from old manuscript ones. In that case I would be tempted to try what I knew to be correct, but wonder if they perform a check against their indexes, before going to the indicated volume and page ??

Jams

Hello, a little while ago you helped me with some info on the rumney family, I have now managed to piece things together between Martha, William & Joseph and have traced the family back to Edward Rumney 1832 and Elizabeth rumney 1837. Martha and William married in 1901 and then after William passed away Martha and Joseph married in 1912.The Rigg connection was that William's sister Tamar married a Rigg, thatnk you for your help and the interesting information provided on Martha

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12