lindsayclubb4

Red face Rev William Bell Mackenzie

I am after information and help on a William Bell MACKENZIE as I had always told he was a ggg (or so) uncle of mine ... but the indications to date are that he was, at best, a cousin.

I possess a book of Rev Mackenzie's sermons (sadly with the early pages missing - particularly ix to xii of the introductory biographical sketch). The book is entitled "Memorials of the Rev W.B. Mackenzie M.A." published in London by W Wells Gardner (when, I don't know, but certainly post-1870). WB MACKENZIE is described in the National Biography as "(1806-1870), divine, son of James Mackenzie of Sheffield ... and was educated at the grammar school there. Both his mother and father died in 1822 ... by the help of some exhibitions was enabled to enter Magdalen Hall, Oxford, on 26 June 1830, graduating BA 1834 and MA 1837. He became curate of St James's, Bristol, in 1834, and in 1838 incumbent of St James's, Holloway, where the poverty of his parish involved him in much hard work ...etc"

Does anyone have any advice as to how I might get my hands on a copy of pages ix to xii of the biographical sketch referred to above? Is there another source that might give me a better insight into the earlier part of his life in Sheffield, ie 1806 - 1830? His later life in the Church is well documented.

Any help gratefully received!

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by lindsayclubb4
    I possess a book of Rev Mackenzie's sermons....The book is entitled "Memorials of the Rev W.B. Mackenzie M.A." published in London by W Wells Gardner......Does anyone have any advice as to how I might get my hands on a copy of pages ix to xii of the biographical sketch referred to above?
    By Law, published works must be deposited at certain libraries. The Bodleian in Oxford and the British Library should possess copies. I'm not sure if there are other libraries in the same position; but I suppose he may have sent a copy to Lambeth Palace Library.

Geoffers
    Charlbury, Oxfordshire