acorntree

Wink looking for/Hurts

hi, everyone out , i am new to this, so i hope im doing it right, if i havent, please help. Please does anyone out there have any info on the surname Hurt, from surry and hampshir, i am now rearching the 16/1700, so any hurt info on these counties would be much apprieated,. Also does anyone out there live in or near Binstead nr alton hamps, One of my grandas lived at Cross house from the 1760,s till his death, i would like to know if Cross house still excits, so i could visit and take photoes.This particular grandad was called Nicholas Hurt, my next grandad was Stephan hurt, born cross house binstead in 1764.Also love to know of any social history books of this area for 16/1700 hundreds.Pheww! hope i havent write that lot for nothing, Figers and toes crossed im doing it write, many thanks for reading, have a good and happy day, Many thanks acorntree

Geoffers

You might try carrying out a search on the Royal Mail web-site using their address finder.

If you cannot locate it there, try searching a census to see if you can locate the house and where it was in relation to other properties - census enumerators tended to follow a set path around their district(s) and recorded the schedules in the same way.

Other than that you will be down to using surveys and maps of the area which may survive in the lcoal record office.

harfin

From my time in Southampton, I thought I remembered a place called Cross House on the A31, but I cannot find it on a map now.

The only Binstead I know of is on the Isle of Wight but that's a fair walk from Alton

Alan

acorntree

Default WALKING TRIP TO ?

Quote Originally Posted by harfin View Post
    From my time in Southampton, I thought I remembered a place called Cross House on the A31, but I cannot find it on a map now.

The only Binstead I know of is on the Isle of Wight but that's a fair walk from Alton

Alan
    :Thanks for post, but binstead is really there in Hampshire, So no hiking for me to the isle of White, thanks for input anyway, regards acorntree

acorntree

Default house searching

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffers View Post
    You might try carrying out a search on the Royal Mail web-site using their address finder.

If you cannot locate it there, try searching a census to see if you can locate the house and where it was in relation to other properties - census enumerators tended to follow a set path around their district(s) and recorded the schedules in the same way.

Other than that you will be down to using surveys and maps of the area which may survive in the lcoal record office.
    Hi, thanks for suggestions to finding cross hse, binstead, will hopefully one way or another find what im looking for, regards acorntree

Peter_uk_can

It seems to be spelt Binsted in the majority of records I could find..

A search of "Binsted" with "Cross House" found this.

https://www.british-history.ac.uk/rep...x?compid=41918

It is prolific in "Hurts" from 1860 onwards, and is described in an early Gazeteer of England and Wales...