MythicalMarian

Default A Weird Coincidence

Today I went to the local library to scour the old 1858 Ashton Reporter for the story on my mining disaster of Feb 1858, in which three of my lads lost their lives - including my 3xgreat-grandfather. I had mentioned this on the mining thread. However, quite by accident I made one of those wonderful discoveries that we can only dream about sometimes. In the aftermath of the disaster, the Reporter covered the story for a couple of issues (the inquest, funerals etc) and lo and behold, another of my ancestors was involved in giving relief to the widows and orphans of the dead miners. This was my great great grandfather Richard Pridgeon who was the cashier and general manager at the pit in question (I didn't know he was at that particular pit) and it is very weird to think that he would have visited the bereaved family who two generations later would marry into his own! So, I gained info on two of my lines with one visit to the library - one of which I wasn't even looking for. And I now know what great great Grandfather Pridgeon was doing on Sunday, 7th February 1858 - as the Reporter said, he was attending the funeral of 22 of the miners at Bardsley churchyard.

All in all, a good visit to the library - even if a very sad one.

uksearch

Long live serendipity.

UK

elizabethjones1

Quote Originally Posted by MythicalMarian View Post
    Today I went to the local library to scour the old 1858 Ashton Reporter for the story on my mining disaster of Feb 1858, in which three of my lads lost their lives - including my 3xgreat-grandfather. I had mentioned this on the mining thread. However, quite by accident I made one of those wonderful discoveries that we can only dream about sometimes. In the aftermath of the disaster, the Reporter covered the story for a couple of issues (the inquest, funerals etc) and lo and behold, another of my ancestors was involved in giving relief to the widows and orphans of the dead miners. This was my great great grandfather Richard Pridgeon who was the cashier and general manager at the pit in question (I didn't know he was at that particular pit) and it is very weird to think that he would have visited the bereaved family who two generations later would marry into his own! So, I gained info on two of my lines with one visit to the library - one of which I wasn't even looking for. And I now know what great great Grandfather Pridgeon was doing on Sunday, 7th February 1858 - as the Reporter said, he was attending the funeral of 22 of the miners at Bardsley churchyard.

All in all, a good visit to the library - even if a very sad one.
    I must try going to the library more often Eliza!!