Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    melsibob

Default Suicide in Manchester

I have discovered that my great grandfather hung himself in some stables owned by his son. His death is registered as occurring Jan-Mar qtr 1911. As far as I am aware he lived in the Manchester/Chorlton area - does anyone know how I could find out where he was buried and where I could search for any newspaper coverage of this? His name was Charles H. Page b 1842 Other family members have searched some parish records - but I am assuming becase it was a suicide he would not be buried in consecrated grounds.

uksearch

Unless you already know the date he died, you really need to purchase the death certificate. A three month search of newspapers could take a lot of time. You do not say where you are located, but if you visited Manchester Central Library you could search the newspapers yourself.

UK

melsibob

A visit to Manchester is not impossible - but will take some time to organise. I am in Lincolnshire. I have the death certificate on order. Having had another look at bmd records it indicates the death was in Chorlton. Once I receive the certifcate I will post the date - thanks

uksearch

Quote Originally Posted by melsibob View Post
    Having had another look at bmd records it indicates the death was in Chorlton.
    It refers to Chorlton Registration District, not the village. See link below for full details.

https://www.uksearch2003.co.uk/page4.htm

UK

melsibob

Yes - I see thanks. Having looked at the link you provided I can see what a big search this could be. Having the death certificate will help me focus the search. Am I correct in thinking he would not be buried on consecrated ground? Would there have been an inquest? Are these records available also? I am wondering if this prompted a large portion of the family (his children) to move from Lancashire to Lincolnshire. Family folklore indicates that there was a dispute between two of his sons - one of whom owned the stables where this took place.

uksearch

Quote Originally Posted by melsibob View Post
    SNIP
    Am I correct in thinking he would not be buried on consecrated ground? Would there have been an inquest? Are these records available also? SNIP.
    Possibly not, but there are plenty of municipal cemeteries. There would have been an inquest and records should be available for this period. It would be easier to search for a newspaper report once you have the date of death.

UK

melsibob

I have now received the death certificate. The writing is not that clear but the date of the death appears to be 12th February 1911 at 264 Stretford Road, Hulme South Manchester. Cause of death was asphysixia from hanging Suicide while insane. The informant is described Ernest Gibson Coronor for Manchester. Inquest held 13th(I think) February 1911. How would I get more information about the inquest or the events leading up to this please?

uksearch

You could search the local newspapers to see if there is a report. No Coroner’s reports exist for Manchester prior to 1958. There is an index of names from 1918, but another option would be to search a scrapbook of newspaper clippings from 1900 to 1938, mostly concerned with Coroner’s Reports (M381/2)

UK

melsibob

Thanks for this. I will start planning a trip across to Manchester - hopefully I can achieve this within the next couple of months. I am hoping that if I am able to find information it may lead me to understand why so many of Charles' family moved across to Lincolnshire around this time.

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Hello melsibob
    It's possible that your g grandfather was buried at Southern Cemetery. The records for this cemetery and a few others around M/cr are online now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast