Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Bulleon

Default 1901 census help-James Tagell

Hi everyone, I only first joined up last night in the middle of a long family history session lol and was hoping you wouldn't mind helping me with a problem I've been having?

I'm looking for a James Tagell born 1894 in Dane-in-Shaw, Congleton, Cheshire on the 1901 census. His parents would have been John and Eliza born 1857 in Buglawton, Cheshire and 1860 in Biddulph, Staffordshire respectively. I'm usually fairly good at finding census where the family's surname's been mispelt or some other error, but this one has me beat! I could be overlooking something genuinely simple because I'm looking so hard, but I'd be really really grateful if you'd be able to have a look and see if you have any ideas.

Thanks for your time,

Stacey.

bumblebee

Hi Stacey

They are in Congleton, Cheshire,

It says his occupation is a Juvenile aged 6. - born Cheshire, Congleton.
    Eliza Tagell born Staff, Bidulph, aged 40
    John Tagell, overlooker in silk mill, aged 44 born Cheshire Congleton

This is from the 1901 online, I don't have a subscription so I cannot view the full image. (I cannot find him on another well known site)

Bumblebee

kcapes

Default Re-James

Hi Stacey
    Here you are down as TAGELLY
    1901 Daneinshaw Buglawton Cheshire

John 44 traveller silk mill Congleton
    Eliza 40 Biddulph
    Hannah 20 silk piecer weaver Buglawton
    John coal miner hewer Buglawton
    Fanny 12 silk piecer weaver Congleton
    William 8 "
    James 6 "
    Walter 2 "
    Hope it helps welcome to the forum
    Kim

bumblebee

Still not coming up on A.........y even as Tagelly. Going to stop looking on there as its driving me mad.

Bumblebee

kcapes

Smile Re James

Hi stacey
    I could'nt find it on there either, found it on another one
    Anyway you've got it now
    kim

uksearch

Would you be kind enough to post the references numbers please?

UK

Bulleon

Awww thanks for your reply Kim, kind of glad that nobody else could find it on there, thought it was me overlooking something really simple! Really chuffed to have found all the details now though. uksearch, the details are:

RG Number: RG13
    Piece: 3348
    Folio: 50
    Page: 27
    Schedule Number: 180

Is that the right information?

Thanks everyone,

Stacey.

uksearch

Yup, I found them all right but I would not have done so without the reference number. I'm using the UK (very apt I guess in this case) version of Ancestry as opposed the US library version at MCL. Most of the panlids are indexed as DAVENPORTs which is the family above...I could not find pops (John) listed as TAGELLY. This really highlights the importance of the reference numbers. Whatever the vagaries of the various indexes the piece numbers are king.

UK

Bulleon

Hi bumblebee!

Wow, thanks so much for that, it was exactly what I wanted! I bought some credits for 1901 and managed to get the full information. It's also the only census which shows together 2 brother James and John Tagell. John married a woman called Edna Wheeldon in 1906, then he died and James married her in 1920 so it's tied all that together nicely!

Thanks so much for your help,

Stacey.

bumblebee

Pleased you could get the full image, I still cannot find them on 'the other' site, so must be missing from there.

Bumblebee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast