carolmcb

Default Looking for info on Emma & Alice Roberts

Hi, I live in England and my family history research shows that 2 of my grandfather's sisters were sent to Canada around the late 1890's.

They were Emma (b. 1887) & Alice (b.1889) Roberts. They were born in London, England and their parents were Charles Roberts and Emma Harvey.

I found Alice's marriage details to James G R Young, a farmer in 1911 @ Drummond Court, Lanark County. James was 32 yrs and Alice was 22 yrs. James' parents were Adam and Margaret Young. It looks like James was living in Drummond but was from Osler, Saskatewan.

The witnesses at the wedding were Emma Roberts of Carleton Place (Alice's sister) and John Walbeh or Walker? I'm trying to find out what happened to both girls and if they were happy.

I’m looking for any children of Alice & James Young.

My great aunt’s daughter, who is aged 80 now, has asked me to find out what I can about the girls for her. Many years ago her mum, who was my grandfather’s sister managed to trace him through the Salvation Army but they couldn’t find Emma or Alice in Canada.

If anybody knows of/or is a descendent of either Emma Roberts or Alice & James Young would you please contact me. Kind regards

greann

Hello carolmcb,
    On your behalf, I located and contacted the granddaughter of Catherine Mcfarlane Stewart who was the mother of Margaret Stewart.
    Margaret Stewart married Adam Young the father of James Young who married Alice Roberts.
    James and Alice moved to Saskatewan, Canada at some point after their marriage. James died April 20, 1927 Perdue, Saskatewan, Canada at the age of 47. I asked this woman if they had any children and am waiting for a reply. She has also kindly offered to go to the graveyard and take a picture of Alice's grave(if she can find it) She assumes it is in the same cemetery as James.
    I have had no luck (yet!!!) tracing Emma, but will continue to look.
    I'll be in touch,
    Ann

greann

Hello again,

Alice Roberts and James Young had the following children.
    Dorothy, Stella, Ada, Edna, and Lyle.
    Lyle lived in Victoria,British Columbia, Canada and had 5 children,
    Jim, Ray, Gloria, Dixie, and Cathy.
    I will see what other info I can find on these people.

Emma Roberts became Emma Stein. That's all I know about her at the moment, but will continue to see what other info I can find.
    Get back to you soon,
    Ann

greann

Hello,
    Dorothy Young married Verden Palmer and had 1 daughter Wanetta.

Wanetta married Bill Fowler and had 5 children.
    Maureen, Murray, Brad, Grant, and Doug.
    Sorry I don't have the dates.
    Ann

carolmcb

Default THANK YOU, YOU ARE TRULY A STAR LADY!

Ann, it was really very kind of you to put up the message for me and all this informtion, so much, so quickly, is overwhelming.

I send you a thousand hugs, Ann, from myself, my family and also my 80 year old relative who asked me to try to trace Emma and Alice for her.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Is there anything I can do to help you in return. Anything, mow the lawn, wash the dishes. Thank you so much.

I am in touch with Barnardos over here

Maureen

greann

Hi Maureen,
    Your very welcome. I really didn't do that much. One question for you though, who or what is the Barnardos???
    Ann

IanBrowness

Default The Home Children

Quote Originally Posted by greann View Post
    ...who or what is the Barnardos???
    According to the Canadian Genealogy Centre, (see their page, as of Apr2007, https://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/g...908.009-e.html ), "Between 1869 and the late 1930s, over 100,000 juvenile migrants were sent to Canada from Great Britain during the child emigration movement." Here, one might add (with a great deal of understatement) "for a variety of reasons and with mixed results". While the "movement" began with loftier intentions, the "home children" were essentially pauper children exported by "missionary" organizations to work as indentured labourers and domestics. Thomas John Barnardo ran one of the largest organizations doing this and the University of Waterloo provides a good outline thereof on their "Young Immigrants to Canada" page at https://ist.uwaterloo.ca/~marj/geneal.../barnardo.html .

Suffice it to say that the practice remains controversial to this day and the stories of and about the home children are well worth a read. Ian

carolmcb

Quote Originally Posted by greann View Post
    Hi Maureen,
    Your very welcome. I really didn't do that much. One question for you though, who or what is the Barnardos??? Ann
    Hi Greann, sorry, I don't think I answered this, did I? Barnodos refers to a Dr Barnardo who opened up children's shelter homes and took in children off the streets (of London firstly, I think). He then began taking in children who's parents couldn't look after them but the parents had to sign the children over to him to send to other countries. These children were known as Barnardo's British Home Children and were shipped out regularly to orphanages abroard @ £10 per child. My London maternal grandmother had 6 children - 3 to her husband who then absconded, then 3 illegitimate children to a drunken waster she lived with on and off but never married. My London grandfather was one of these 3 children. G.grandmother signed over 1 of her legitimate children and her eldest illegitimate daughter to Barnardo's home London and signed them to be sent to Canada, knowing she'd never see them again!

Then she dumped the other children and disappeared leaving them to the orphanage.

She turned up around 1911 (still in London) when she married again.

carolmcb

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by IanBrowness View Post
    According to the Canadian Genealogy Centre, (see their page, as of Apr2007, https://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/g...908.009-e.html ), "Between 1869 and the late 1930s, over 100,000 juvenile migrants were sent to Canada from Great Britain during the child emigration movement." Here, one might add (with a great deal of understatement) "for a variety of reasons and with mixed results". While the "movement" began with loftier intentions, the "home children" were essentially pauper children exported by "missionary" organizations to work as indentured labourers and domestics. Thomas John Barnardo ran one of the largest organizations doing this and the University of Waterloo provides a good outline thereof on their "Young Immigrants to Canada" page at https://ist.uwaterloo.ca/~marj/geneal.../barnardo.html .

Suffice it to say that the practice remains controversial to this day and the stories of and about the home children are well worth a read. Ian
    Hi IanBrowness, once again, I apologise for not responding earlier and I find your message interesting and very helpful. I have, since writing my original message, 'found' several distant relatives in Canada, all of whom are descended from my grandfather's illegitimate sister who was sent over there by Barnardos and we have swapped lots of info, photos and docs and are still very much in contact with each other.

I'll take a look at those weblinks you gave me, thank you.

Carolynjp

Hi carolmcb, this is very interesting my grandmother Alice Roberts and her sister Emma arrived in Canada due to being placed in the Bernardo's homes.Alice had five children,Dorothy,Ada,Stella,Edna(my mom) and Lyle.She married James G R Young. he died when my mom was quite young,so she raised her children by herself.She had a very hard life usually doing farm work.alice died in a car accident along with her daughter Ada in 1957. please contact me so we can share more information, Carolyn Price