Hils Hoppo

Exclamation Katherine Little - Aldershot

A cousin in Ireland has requested my help with a brickwall he has hit. His Gt Grandfather Patrick O'Kelly from Monaghan married Katherine Little born c. 1865 in Aldershot. Nothing else is known about Katherine or how she came to be in Ireland and be married there. We have assumed there must be a military link somewhere.

The only Katherine Little I can find is one born in 1868 in Aldershot to Thomas Little and Julia Fry. Julia died 2 years after Katherine's birth and Thomas then married a Roseana. Thomas was a grocer and I can't find any links to Ireland or the army, neither can I find a marriage registration for his marriage to Roseana. (Maybe they weren't actually married) I am hoping that I might find an Irish connection relating to Roseana.

I may be barking up the completely wrong tree of course but if anyone has any suggestions of where I go from here I'd love to hear from them. In particular how I go about finding army records for Aldershot as I think they may be worth searching.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Hils Hoppo
    Patrick O'Kelly from Monaghan married Katherine Little born c. 1865 in Aldershot. Nothing else is known about Katherine or how she came to be in Ireland and be married there.
    Sorry, no answers - but when the above married, what was his occupation? Was Patrick O'Kelly in the army? What is the source for the marriage - does your cousin have a marriage certificate, and if so what does that record? Any useful witnesses, occupation of father?

Where has the cousin found mention of the birthplace in Aldershot? Does this source record any LITTLEs who were born in Hampshire...or England?

Hils Hoppo

Exclamation

The information on Katherine was taken from the 1911 Dublin Census so all we know is Katherine's birthplace. Patrick O'Kelly was a plasterer so no army connection as far as we know.

Geoffers

Okedoke - and the source for the marriage is.......?

Also, how old were Patirck and Katherine in 1911.

Any LITTLEs in the 1911 census who were born in England?

Hils Hoppo

They both give their ages as 23 which I now realise makes their dob 1888 not 1865 - will need to check with cousin on where he got 1865 from. No other Little's on census were born in England.

Hils Hoppo

Exclamation

Sorry just done double check on census and 23 is not their ages it's the number of years they've been married (they're very different from English census returns)

Geoffers

That would fit then with the calculated year of birth at 1865. Does your cousin have a marriage certificate for the couple and what does that record? The hope that it has some detail such as a father's name, or related witnesses is the best chance of conneting back to the 1868 entry that you've found.

Hils Hoppo

Exclamation

No, we don't have a marriage certificate although the hunt is on for one. It's pretty difficult in Ireland as you have to know the parish in question.