Thread: Curious

sharinj

Default Curious

What is Nottingham like today?

Well, there are 2 shopping centres (malls), a new tram system and lots of shops, office blocks, more shops. Three universities plus students (and the pubs and clubs to go with them).
    There is a cricket ground, although being south of the river it isn't in Nottingham.
    There are 2 football teams; One is Nottingham County who play at Meadow Lane inside the city boundaries and then there is Nottingham Forest who play at the City ground which is outside the city boundaries.
    There is a castle, which is actually a mansion house, but it is inside the castle walls. Near to it, are a couple of pubs, both who claim to be the oldest one in Britain.
    I did see a good web site showing photographs of modern Nottingham, but just Google Nottingham photos.

MarkJ

Don't they call the club "Notts County" Neil? Yep, I know Notts is an abbreviation for Nottinghamshire, but I have not heard the club called "Nottingham County" before.

I understand from my wifes family that the old Market Square has been ripped out. No fountains any more

What sort of info are you looking for sharinj? There are (or were, when I was there) a lot of historical sites - such as those mentioned by Neil, plus the caves, the canal and of course, the Goose Fair every year

Mark

Steve Ley

Being a life long supporter, it is Notts county not Nottingham county also never refer to Notitigham Forest as Nott's Forest they get rather upset !
    The square has just been refurbished and is now flat which has took some of its beauty away in my opinion.
    https://www.nottinghamcity.gov.uk/www...uare/index.asp

Quote Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
    Don't they call the club "Notts County" Neil? Yep, I know Notts is an abbreviation for Nottinghamshire, but I have not heard the club called "Nottingham County" before.

Mark
    Nottingham - Notts, don't ask me, I don't follow football.

MarkJ

Not a huge football fan myself, but when living in Nottingham, I did pop along to see Notts County a few times. Never been to Forest though - although I did see them play Manchester City in Manchester back around 1970 or so.
    The cricket over at Trent Bridge is more my thing

Mark

Jack Richards

If anyone is interested in a Nottingham history site with many photos thereon, I can recommend the following site.

It is not a commercial site and has nothing to do with me, other than I view it.

https://www.nottinghamhistory.co.uk

The site is that of Paul Nix who has a good knowledge of old Nottingham.
    I think he may have another site connected with Nottingham history.

Regards Jack

sharinj

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Richards View Post
    If anyone is interested in a Nottingham history site with many photos thereon, I can recommend the following site.

It is not a commercial site and has nothing to do with me, other than I view it.

https://www.nottinghamhistory.co.uk

The site is that of Paul Nix who has a good knowledge of old Nottingham.
    I think he may have another site connected with Nottingham history.

Regards Jack
    Thank you Jack, very interesting site.