Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Knowledgeable and helpful

Many thanks Caliope.
    That sounds like a very good way to go about it.
    It is always good to hear of a method that works for someone else.
    Yes, I found out so much after receiving my great grandfathers will. His direction that my great grandmother use the profits of the beerhouse, which he was leaving to her, to educate his children was most significant. My grandfather subsequently became an engineer and broke away from the agricultural labourer tradition. I always had wondered how that had happened. I owe a lot to my great grandfather.
    thanks again.
    Marj.

v.wells

Quote Originally Posted by caliope View Post
    Hi Dargie,

I also am a newbie, so I can only tell you my experience finding a will from out of the country. I was browsing through the death registers on FindMyPast and managed to find an entry listed for my gg grandfather. Using his name, address and date of death listed on the register, I wrote to the Her Majesty's Courts Service - York Probate-Sub Registry. After paying a nominal fee, I received the will in the mail. Wills are my favourite genealogical documentation as they tell you so much about family relationships and fortunes!
    That was a good question Dargie I have also been wondering how to access these and I'm west of the pond. I will have to try FMP and see what happens.

caliope

Smile

FMP is a great resource for the Index to the Death Duty Registers but a word of warning.
    From what I understand, some of the wills shown in these registers may no longer exist (especially those in Somerset). The register is still valuable because it usually gives the date of death (no need then for expensive death certs), the writer's address at the time the will was written and the executor's name.

It can also be a bit time consuming searching through the registers but, for me, well worth it! (I found another great great grandfather and his brother today).

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by v.wells
    I have also been wondering how to access these and I'm west of the pond.
    I understand that the calendar of probate and admon may be viewed at mormon church (LDS) records. These are easy to use and provide a lot of information in their own right. They date back to 1858 when ecclesiastical courts ceased dealing with probate.

sweep627

Default Hi Folks

I am also a newbie and would love if someone could help me out I am in Canada and not able to access the Library so easily as you, and I am also now looking for wills on my great grandparents and if anyone is able to help let me know.

Thanks Sweep627

fogmog

Question Wills and Probate

Hi Dargie
    Have just read your reply made last year, so hope this gets to you, tell me, do you subscribe to Find My Past or use credits to scroll the death registers?
    I am also new to using wills and would also like, not only to know if you can access on line, but also the quickest way to make this happen.
    Thanks Fogmog
    PS I'm from down under, 13,000 miles away to be precise.
    Last edited by fogmog; 21-07-2008 at 2:59 AM. Reason: Forgot to add

Knowledgeable and helpful

Hi Fogmog

I am sorry I cannot give you a lot of informaton about access to the will information here in Oz.
    It might me helpful for you to read all the posts and threads under "Wills" as there is another thread there "Idiots guide to Wills" where some kind folk have given me some leads on places to look.
    I was fortunate to have a kind forum member look a few wills up for me in London so that has given me enough to keep me busy for a while.
    Sorry I cannot be more help. However as I mentioned -read all the threads in this forum and I am sure you will get some light on the subject.
    I have not used FindmyPast so do not have experience in that area.
    Good Luck, hopefully someone else will read this and come up with something for you.
    Working from Down Under certainly presents some obstacles and a lot of travelling! I do not have reliable LDS centres here and would have to travel 200 km to Melbourne but if you do I am sure they can help you. I have not found a way to access all information online.
    regards
    Marj.
    Last edited by Dargie; 23-07-2008 at 4:36 AM. Reason: Addition

fogmog

Default Looking up Wills and Probate

Thanks Dargie, Guess I'll keep on digging and reading. Wouldn't it be great if you could have a pet research in every important town or village.
    Fogmog

v.wells

Quote Originally Posted by fogmog View Post
    Hi Dargie
    Have just read your reply made last year, so hope this gets to you, tell me, do you subscribe to Find My Past or use credits to scroll the death registers?
    I am also new to using wills and would also like, not only to know if you can access on line, but also the quickest way to make this happen.
    Thanks Fogmog
    PS I'm from down under, 13,000 miles away to be precise.

You can purchase credits 50 at a time for £9.95 or purchase a sub. I think it is 5 credits to vew the Will and Death Duty registers.

Cassandra

Default Wills

I have purchased several Copy Wills from various Records Offices these come under Crown Copyright and are for the use only of the person who purchased tham and they cannot be passed to anyone else or copied for anyone else.

At the Cheshire Records Office you are sent a form which you sign to say that you will abide by these copyright rules.

If the Wills you are searching for are old, then perhaps the Records Offices will hold copies of them which you can purchase as I did.

Both Chester and Preston Records Office are most helpful in this respect.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12