bethel3

Default Help with emigration to Canada

Hi,
    Need I have a Robert Adams born 1880 Northlew, Devon. UK who emigrated to Canada & wasn't heard of again. The only info I have on Robert is that he emigrated to Canada after returning to England after fighting in Boer War in South Africa. Can someone advise where I could begin to start looking to see where Robert ended up in Canada? Many thanks. Jacqui

suedent

Jacqui it might be worth checking out the emigration records on findmypast. If you can find the ship manifest it may well give Robert's final destination.

v.wells

Quote Originally Posted by bethel3 View Post
    Hi,
    Need I have a Robert Adams born 1880 Northlew, Devon. UK who emigrated to Canada & wasn't heard of again. The only info I have on Robert is that he emigrated to Canada after returning to England after fighting in Boer War in South Africa. Can someone advise where I could begin to start looking to see where Robert ended up in Canada? Many thanks. Jacqui
    Where was he living after the war? What yr was he discharged? Do you have any military records that might indicate if he was married? There are a lot of Robert Adams on the shipping lists, so it would help to narrow down the timeline.

Mary Anne

I agree with Vanessa, I would start with his service record from the Boer War, and see how much detail you can get from that.

Then you might look in the UK census for 1901 first, and see if you can find him there (presumably, his record will give you a hint as to location by the address of next-of-kin or something like).

If you can't find him on 1901 UK census, then you MIGHT look for him on the Canadian 1901 census, but I suspect there may be a number of *Robert Adams* there too. On the 1901 Canadian census they asked for month, year and place of birth, so you may be able to distinguish him from others by that. If not, you may be out of luck until you can find him on an emigration/immigration record of some kind.

Mary Anne

Mahala

Hi Jacqui:

Do you have any other info on Robert?

On the Collections Canada website there are the attestation papers for a Robert Evely Adams, born April 9, 1880 in Bratton Clovelly, North Devon, which I see from mapquest is about four miles from Northlew.

This Robert Adams gave his mother's name as Sarah Adams, and he said he served for three years in the South African Mounted Police.
    Occupation: farmer and horse trainer, present address: N.W.M.P., Regina, Sask., not married.

The website is:
    https://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/a...2-100.01-e.php

If you do a search on Robert Adams he comes up as #30.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Found on Findmypast

Passenger transcript details
    Name: Robert ADAMS
    Date of departure: 16 May 1926
    Port of departure: Greenock
    Passenger destination port: Halifax, Canada
    Passenger destination: Halifax, Canada

Date of Birth: 1880 (calculated from age)
    Marital status: Married
    Sex: Male
    Passenger recorded on: Page 6 of 10

The following people with the same last name travelled on this voyage: -

James ADAMS Page 6 of 10
    Jane ADAMS Page 6 of 10
    John ADAMS Page 6 of 10
    Joseph ADAMS Page 6 of 10
    Mary ADAMS Page 6 of 10
    Mary ADAMS Page 6 of 10
    Ruby ADAMS Page 6 of 10
    Susan ADAMS Page 6 of 10

Ship: BALTIC
    Master's name: E R White
    Steamship Line: White Star Line
    Where bound: New York, USA
    Registered tonnage: 23,884
    Passengers on voyage: 161

Is this yours?

sawmilldoc

Default hello jacqui i am robert adams grandson

Quote Originally Posted by bethel3 View Post
    Hi,
    please email me ive been searching for information on his family as well.

sawmilldoc

jaqui my email is sawmilldoc at hotmail dot com
    Last edited by Neil Wilson; 02-10-2013 at 6:21 AM. Reason: email address edited to prevent spammers