Wilkes_ml

Default Owslebury Hampshire: South Stoneham or Andover reg district?

Hi,

this is just a quickie - does anyone know if Owslebury in 1837/1838 was in the registration district of South Stoneham or Andover. I've found two possible "male" births in the GRO index and want to try to narrow it down a bit!

many thanks

Just added: looking on the map it looks as though it should be covered by Winchester reg district! But I can't even find South Stoneham on my modern map!!

Jan1954

According to GENUKI, it's Winchester.

https://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/d...inchester.html

Wilkes_ml

Ah... that's what I thought! Unfortunately I can't find a birth in Winchester registration district!

Just in case someone get's a bit bored and would like to have a quick look!

I'm looking for a Richard She(a)rman who was 3 in 1841 and 13 in 1851 and was baptised on 4th March 1838 -so should have been registered between 5th June 1837 and Mid may 1838 (if it is 6 weeks that birth is supposed to be registered in!). He was supposedly born in Owslebury, where he was living in 1841 and 1851.

The only Richard Shearman I found (certificate obtained) born 12th Sept. 1837, was not the correct one. The parents didn't match - so I thought maybe he was registered as just "male"!

Of course, he may not have been registered. I'm desperately trying to find his mother's maiden name - and he was last child she had as far as I can tell.

many thanks to anyone who has any ideas!