Christa

Default Master Mariners Sunderland

Hi

I am looking for information on my husband's grt, grt, grandfather Alphonso Howard Tiffin. I have him on all census records apart from 1881 when he must have been away at sea. He was born 1834 in Walsoken, Norfolk and in 1551 he was a mariner's apprentice. On the 1861 census he is now living in Sunderland but away at sea, the 1871 census he is a Seaman and now says he is unmarried though there is no divorce apparently! , in 1891 he has a new wife and is living in Durham described as Master Mariner/ publican. Maybe his wife ran the beer side while he was away at sea. I have tried to find out more information regarding his service records and name of ship. I have found Tiffins who were ship owners and am trying to see if there is a connection. I'd love to find him but my searches have thrown up nothing.

Christa

Chris01

Quote Originally Posted by Christa View Post
    On the 1861 census he is now living in Sunderland but away at sea
    Did you find him in the census on his ship? Do you know whether all mariners away at sea were recorded? I have a mariner in 1861 who I can't find anywhere!

Geoffers

For details of records relating to mariners, have a look at TNA's research guides click on 'M' and look at the links prefixed 'Merchant Seamen'

Note that a lot of crew lists and agreements from 1861 onwards are no longer held at TNA. They retain a sample, as does the National Maritime Museum (NMM), many are now at the Memorial University of Newfoundland who will carry out research for a price.

megohm

Hi Christa

Was Alphonso Howard Tiffin married originally to Harriet if so they had two daughters and a son, Harriet could possibly be my grt,grt grandmother she had a further child to William Wilson Robson but as you have said there was no sign of a divorce I am not sure where that could be found. I did find him staying with his sister and brother-in-law and then in Durham as you have said
    If I can give you any further information please contact.

Megohm