Marion

Question CARTER conundrum (Nottingham)

My 2x gt grandfather is proving very elusive and I'm hoping someone might recognise him or have suggestions!

What I have so far
    Charles CARTER married Sarah Elinda THOMPSON in 1888, Essex. He was a clerk and gave his father's name as James CARTER, auctioneer. In 1894 when he married for a second time he had become Charles Andrews CARTER.

In the 1891 census he says he was born about 1863/4 in Nottingham
    In the 1901 census he says he was born about 1867/8 in Nottingham

The only likely Charles I can find on the 1881 is with a widowed mother Harriett in Nottingham.

The 1871 has James the auctioneer listed as a widower with several children but no Charles. No Charles CARTER of near the right age in Nottingham (or even Charles ANDREWS)

Can't find any birth registrations for a Charles CARTER or Charles ANDREWS in the time frame.

Any ideas or suggestions gratefully received, I'm beginning to think that this is my Martian branch!

Marion in Wiltshire

Heather B

Hi Marion,

There is a baptism on the Notts FHS society CD which seems to agree with your findings so far -

Nottingham St Marys 27/09/1865 Charles Andrews Carter to James Tomlinson Carter and Harriet. Charles' birthdate is given as 02/09/1865. Their abode is 47 Bilbie Street and James' profession is sharebroker.

Heather B

Strangely the James you found in 1871, despite the profession, does not seem to be the same man. The children with him are baptised to a James and Frances Carter. I have a long list of those baptised to James and Harriet. Please send me a private message and I will pass my findings on.

Heather

Heather B

Got 'em Horribly mistranscribed in 1871

RG10 3505 139 19
    Colwick Lane, Sneinton
    James Tomlinson Carter head 33 sharebroker Nottm
    Harriett wife 31 Egham, Surrey
    Edward son 6 Nottingham
    Charles son 5 Nottingham
    Ada dau 4 Nottingham
    Maud dau 1 Sneinton
    Eleanor Margaret Andrews wife's sister unmar 43 Egham, Surrey
    Mary Ann Perks ser 20 unmar domestic servant Chesterfield, Derbys.
    Ellen Stanley ser 10/18(?) unmar domestic servant Bridgford notts.

Marion

Hey this is wonderful! thank you so much!!

Marion