Knowledgeable and helpful Karen Newman's Avatar

Default William and Jane Sophia TODD - Cosham

Is anyone researching William TODD and his wife Jane Sophia (nee BROWN) who were in Cosham, Portsmouth in 1901 (ref RG13; Piece: 1015; Folio: 25; Page: 5)?

Jane Sophia BROWN had a sister Frances Charlotte who married a John SNELL. Both John and William were in the Royal Artillery and served at some point in Seaham (William and Jane are there in 1871).

There is a baptism in the Seaham Harbour register of a William Aikin SNELL in 1873 but I have not been able to find a civil reg that fits. Whilst his mother is shown as Fanny, his father is shown as William, not John. I am fairly sure that this is a mistake. There is no record of an AIKIN/SNELL marriage, and the Aikin name does not feature in my family before or since.

When I obtained a copy of the birth reg entry, the Durham Record Office transcribed details of another researcher and their address. This person had also asked for a copy of the entry (but some years beforehand) and a note had been made in the margin. The address given to the R O no longer exists, and only the surname was given so I have very little to go on. But I am sure they are descended from the TODDs. (I am not giving the 'full' details of the transcribed entry here as I believe that would be indiscreet, and I am a bit surprised that the R O did, to be honest, though I am sure they thought they were being helpful).

I am posting this here in the hope that someone from the TODD branch has got to the bottom of William Aikin Snell's parentage.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Hi Karen,

Could this be John and Francis in 1881 as follows:

Civil parish Crondall
    County Hampshire

John Snell head age 35 occ shoemaker born Kennort? Devon
    Francis wife age 30 born Basingstoke
    William Aitkin age 7 visitor born Newcastle
    Julie

Knowledgeable and helpful

In 1891 in the civil parish of Basingstoke there is a Frances Snell married occ lets lodgings born Basingstoke Frances is down as male? With Frances is a William -- Snell son age 16 occ (cant make) it out born Seaham Harbour Sunderland and also a William S Steggall lodger? occ curator of St Michaels
    Julie

Knowledgeable and helpful Karen Newman's Avatar

Hi

Yes I have the SNELLS on the census, I should have said. John is in the Portsea workhouse in 1891. He and Frances appear to have seperated by then. John goes back to his mother by 1901 (in Devon) whilst Frances dies in Hants in 1915.

Although William Aikin SNELL has John as his father on his marriage cert, it does not explain why his father is shown as William on the baptism entry. Was he really John's son? John and Frances don't seem to have had any other children, so was William unofficially adopted?

I was hoping to make contact with someone from the Todd line in case they had found out anything to solve this little mystery. A long shot I know.