Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mutley

Quote Originally Posted by Kingetter View Post
    Here's a reply I got from someone on Genforum North Carolina Board:

There will be no record of William since he and Annie immigrated in 1885.
    I'm back,

Sorry I don't understand the above quote, if William and Annie emigrated in 1885 then surely he (born abt 1858 in Kilbirnie) and she, possibly under her maiden name, should be in the Scotland 1861 and 1871 census. Their parents should certainly be there.

They may have married in Scotland, in England prior to departure, on board ship or in North Carolina after arrival.

As a born Londoner, with access to just England Ancestry, I am probably also out of my depth here. I wonder if it is worth you starting a new thread asking for Scotland to Carolina lookups. If you do, link it to this thread (Copy and Paste the link at the top of your screen) so that any others can see what has transpired.

I wish you the best of luck and will keep an eye out with interest as I am sure that someone with access to the right sites will tie this information together for you.

Kingetter

Mutley, many thanks. I think the poster on Genforum might be American so the record he refers to would likely be his side, not in Britain.

Which Board would I use to start the new thread as you suggested?

James.

Mutley

Quote Originally Posted by Kingetter View Post
    Which Board would I use to start the new thread as you suggested?

James.
    That's probably a harder question than your very first one.

What about 'Emigration from Britain' here:

https://www.british-genealogy.com/for...play.php?f=156

mentioning the two countries in the title.

Best of Luck

wvorr

William Stewart Orr was my Great Grandfather on my mother’s side. William and Annie came to N.C. in 1885 as shown in the census of 1900. (I have a family picture taken in Beith around 1885.) My Grandfather, Barclay L Orr, was born near Asheville in 1886 and was killed in an accident in Asheville around 1914.
    After William Stewart died in a logging accident, Annie married Michael Benson.
    C1900 -
    Name: Annie Benson
    Home in 1900: Asheville Ward 4, Buncombe, North Carolina
    Estimated Birth Year: Feb. 1860
    Birthplace: Scotland
    Relationship to head-of-house: Wife
    Spouse's Name: Michael
    Race: White
    Immigration Year: 1885

Michael Benson 36, 11/62 - works @ saw mill, married 15 yr.
    Annie Benson 40, she has had 13 children & 12 are living
    John [ORR] Benson 20, 11/79, Scotland - immigrated 1885, RR engineer
    Andrew [ORR] Benson 15, 7/85 Scotland - immigrated 1885
    Barclay (Orr) Benson 13, 11/86 NC
    Malcolm (Orr) Benson 11, 2/89 NC
    Minnie Benson 8, 6/91 NC
    Annie Benson 7, 4/93 NC
    Victor Benson 4, 3/96 NC
    George Benson 2, 2/98 NC

ASHEVILLE BOY DIES IN A MANILA HOSPITAL

News Received of the Death of Andrew L. Orr

Andrew L. Orr, who died in Manila, P. I., July 30, 1903,was born in Scotland July 24, 1884, although the greater part of his life has been spent in America. He enlisted in the United States regular cavalry July 1, 1901. Since that time he has been stationed at Fort Meade, S. D. He sailed with Troop L, 13 th cavalry, April 1, 1903 for Manila.
    He leaves to mourn his loss a mother, six brothers and one sister. His mother, Mrs. M. M. Benson of Asheville, William W. Orr, John B. Orr, Malcolm G. Orr, ...illegible...of Asheville, James A. Orr of New York, Robert G. Orr of Spenser, N. C, and Barclay L. Orr of Windsor, Colorado.
    The following is a clipping from the Manila cable news: “…Another death was reported from First Reserve hospital, but it was not a cholera patient. Private A. L. Orr of 13 th cavalry, who died of pneumonia. His ...?... relative is Mrs. M. M. Benson of Asheville, N. C., U. S. A.

Andrew L Orr, Buried at Arlington National Cemetery

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123