Edmond

Default Edmonds in Kimpton

While researching my mother's family, in particular her grandfather Walter Charles Edmonds, I found a Walter Charles in Queenstown Co. Cork Ireland, who originated in Kimpton Hampshire. He had connections with the Navy and Lighthouse service I believe. Here the plot thickens.

His father also Walter Charles was born around 1850 in Somerstown St Pancras. His siblings were Henry, William, and Adolphus (the latter died in St Saviour's Southwark).

Has anyone any insight or connections to these Edmonds?

janbooth

Default Walter Charles EDMONDS

How about this family in the 1851 census of St Pancras:

HO107/1494, folio 477, page 44

Henry EDMONDS Head Mar 27 Dairy Man Middlesex
    Rosina do Wife Mar 28 do
    Henry do Son Un 7 do
    William do Son Un 5 do
    Walter do Son Un 1 do

Cracked it, because in the 1861 census of St Pancras:

RG9/109, folio 125, page 10
    38 Clarendon Square

Henry EDMONDS Head Mar 37 Pressman Middlesex Pancras
    Rosina do Wife Mar 37 do do
    William do Son Un 15 Polisher do do
    Walter do Son Un 11 do do Marylebone
    Adolphus do Son Un 1 do Pancras

In the 1871 census of Andover, Hampshire:

RG10/1243, folio 37, page 12
    East St

William FOX Head Mar 38 Cabinet Maker Middlesex Shoreditch
    Jane C do Wife Mar 39 Upholsterer Surrey Walworth
    Ada S do Daur Unmar 17 Nursemaid (Domestic Servant) London St Lukes
    Elizabeth I do Daur Unmar 14 London St Lukes
    Emma M do Daur 12 Middlesex Islington
    Walter C EDMONDS Boarder Unmar 21 Painter do St Pancras

In the 1881 census of Milford, Wiltshire:

RG11/2070, folios 267, pages 24/5
    Park Road

Walter C EDMONDS Head Mar 30 Painter Middlesex St Pancras
    Eliza do Wife do 36 Grocer Hants Kimpton
    Walter C do Son 9 Scholar do do
    Wm H do Son 7 do do do
    Eliza A do Daur 7 do do do
    Lily E do Daur 2 Hants Thruston
    Florence M do Daur 2 mo Wilts Salisbury

cont....

janbooth

........ cont

Walter & Eliza are still in Milford in the 1891 census:

RG12/1617, folio 107, page 25
    82 & 84 Park St

Walter EDMONDS Head M 41 Grocer London St Pancras
    Eliza do Wife M 46 Hants Kimpton
    Lily do Daur 12 Scholar do Thornton
    May do Daur 10 do Wilts Salisbury
    Edward do Son 8 do do do
    Frederick do Son 6 do do do

and in the 1901 census:

RG13/1952, folio 141, page 14
    80 Park Street

Walter Charles EDMONDS Head M 51 General Grocer (Shopkeeping) London St Pancras
    Eliza do Wife M 56 Hants Kimpton
    Lily Elizabeth do Daur S 22 do Thruxton
    Florence May do Daur S 20 Wilts Salisbury
    Adolphus Edward do Son S 18 Grocers Assistant do do
    Frederick John do Son S 16 Electrician do do

There is a marriage registration on the GRO Index in the June qtr 1871 at Andover registration district, vol 2c, page 387 for a Walter Charles EDMONDS and a corresponding entry for an Eliza SAINSBURY.

HTH

Janet

Edmond

Default Good Heavens...!

Janet - I am impressed and in awe! I managed some time ago on a work related trip to London, to have a quick browse in the British Library and found some (but only some) of the information you have turned up. On my way back to the hotel I was staying in I took a look at the general vicinity that was Clarendon Square, now much changed. But at least the maps were pretty detailed and it was possible to locate exactly where Walter lived. Isn't it odd the Walter went to rural Hampshire from St Pancras. I always imagined migration to be primarily from the country to the city.

How best to trace the Edmonds back further still...any thought greatly received. Again many thanks for such wonderful information

Edmond (you can see my mum was keen on her surname!)

janbooth

Edmond,

I think you need to obtain two certificates now to enable you to go further back with certainty. Firstly, the birth certificate of Walter Charles EDMONDS which will give you the name & profession of his father (just to make sure we have the correct father) and the maiden name of his mother (hopefully Rosina ??) so we can then start to trace her. Walter Charles' birth was registered in the December qtr 1849 at Marylebone registration district, vol 1, page 150 according to the GRO Index. Then (if the details on the birth certificate confirm Henry & Rosina as Walter's parents) you need to obtain their marriage certificate which will give you names & professions of both their fathers. Unfortunately, there are quite a few marriages for a Henry EDMONDS in Middlesex during the likely period of his marriage, so until you have the maiden name of Walter's mother, I can't cross reference to make sure I find the correct marriage.

Certificates can be ordered online at www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/. Once you have obtained Walter's birth certificate, post the details and I or somebody else can look for the marriage details for you.

Henry EDMONDS is still in St Pancras in the 1871 census (RG10/219, folio 59, page 21) with son Adolphus and a George CHAMBERLAIN aged 3. However, Rosina must have died between 1861 and 1871 as he is now married to an Emma, aged 24, born Newington, Surrey.

In the 1881 census, Henry J EDMONDS is in St George Southwark (RG11/527, folio 116, page 18) living at 130 Blackfriars Road with wife Emma E and Son (!) George W, aged 14, born Southwark. I presume this is the George CHAMBERLAIN above and that Henry married an Emma CHAMBERLAIN. This marriage now confirmed but not registered until the September qtr 1871 at Lambeth registration district vol 1d page 535 when there is an entry for a Henry James EDMONDS and a corresponding one for Emma Elizabeth CHAMBERLAIN - I wonder when Rosina died??? There is a death registration for a Rosanna EDMONDS in the September qtr 1863 at Lambeth registration district vol 1d, page 282, which could be her.

Bingo - I have now found what I think is the marriage registration for Henry James EDMONDS and Rosina/Rosanna. There is a marriage registered in the September qtr 1842 at St James, Westminster reg district, vol 1, page 98 and a corresponding entry for a Rosanna MULLETT.

HTH and do post up the new details you have when you obtain the certificates and then hopefully we can find both Henry and Rosina/Rosanna in the 1841 census.

Janet

Edmond

Default Thanks again......

Janet - again many thanks. I will attend to getting the two certificates and if it is still ok, contact you once these are received.

Edmond

Edmond

Default Birth/Marriage Certificates

Jan - I have (at last) received Walter Charles birth certifcate and Henry and Rosanna's marriage certificate.

Firstly Walter Charles' birth certificate:
    Registration District: Marylebone Sub-district: All Souls in the County of Middlesex

No: 57
    When / Where born: Eighth November 1849 35 Great Titchfield Street
    Name: Walter Charles
    Sex: Boy
    Name/Surname father: Henry James Edmonds
    Name/Surname/maiden name mother: Rosina Edmonds formerly Mullet
    Occupation father: Diaryman
    Signature/description informant: HJ Edmonds - Father - 35 Great Titchfield Street Marylebone
    When registered: Nineteenth December 1849
    Signature of Registrar: Timothy Wallington

Marriage Certificate:

1842 Marriage solemnized at the church in the parish of Saint James westminster in the county of Middlesex
    No: 443
    When married: July 4th
    Name & Surname: Henry James Edmonds Rosanna Mullett
    Condition: Bachelor (him) Spinster (her)
    Rank Profession: Milkman (him) none (her)
    Residence: Strand 83 Guilford Street Guilford Diary (his) 8 or 5 Kenton Street Brunswick Square (hers)
    Father's name: Henry Edmonds (his) Joseph Mullett (hers)
    Rank Profession: Milkman (his) deceased (hers)

Kenton Street still exists (if shortened) as does Guilford Street and Great Titchfield Street all in the Bloomsbury & Marylebone areas.

janbooth

Default Rosanna MULLETT

Hello again Edmond,

Sadly, I cannot find Rosanna on the 1841 census with any certainty. However, there is an extracted birth/baptism on the IGI for a Rosanna MULLETT born 5 February 1822, baptised 24 March 1822 at St James, Westminster, father Joseph MULLETT, mother Sarah which sounds a distinct possibility for your Rosanna.

I also cannot find either Joseph (although he could be dead by 1841) or Sarah with any certainty in the 1841 so have really come to a bit of a dead end with this one.

Janet

Edmond

Jan - thanks for trying to check out Rosanna. I wonder about Henry's people. Seems they all just lived around the corner from each other.

Ed