Thread: Computer died

Knowledgeable and helpful keith9351's Avatar

Default Computer died

A few weeks ago my computer just refused to boot. Off to the shop to buy a laptop thinking that recent info not backed up was now lost.

Back on line with my brand new laptop I checked the computer help pages on this site and with
    Markj's (linux live cd) suggestion I sent off for there latest CD which arrived Saturday.

With my very limited computer knowledge I was able to access all of the files I needed and transfer them to my new laptop.

I would like to say a big thank you to Mark and the other techies.

Keith

Jan1954

They are all worth their weight in

Glad you managed to save your files.

Loves to help with queries Pandad's Avatar

The moral of the story is Backup, Backup, Backup, on a regular basis, and not to the same hard drive.

It is not until you loose your data that you really learn the lesson. A couple of years ago my computer just died. I thought, no problem, it's all backed up to an external hard drive. Guess what, that died as well. I lost everything in a week. But like Keith, I managed to slowly recover the data.

MarkJ

Quote Originally Posted by keith9351 View Post
    A few weeks ago my computer just refused to boot. Off to the shop to buy a laptop thinking that recent info not backed up was now lost.

Back on line with my brand new laptop I checked the computer help pages on this site and with
    Markj's (linux live cd) suggestion I sent off for there latest CD which arrived Saturday.

With my very limited computer knowledge I was able to access all of the files I needed and transfer them to my new laptop.

I would like to say a big thank you to Mark and the other techies.

Keith
    Glad it was helpful Keith - your thanks are appreciated

Mark

MarkJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jan1954 View Post
    They are all worth their weight in

Glad you managed to save your files.
    lol - that would be an awful lot of gold Jan! I am not quite as slim as I was in my avatar photo now!

Mark

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
    lol - that would be an awful lot of gold Jan! I am not quite as slim as I was in my avatar photo now!

Mark

I still think you are worth your weight in gold! Anyone who understands computers has my heartfelt admiration!

Mind you, this was a timely reminder and I have just spent the last 45 minutes backing up everything in sight before I'm tempted to ...

Scared of spiders but fond of frogs!

Quote Originally Posted by Jan1954 View Post
    I still think you are worth your weight in gold! Anyone who understands computers has my heartfelt admiration!
    Snap! Hear, hear or is it here here? Anyway, three cheers for Mark, who is definitely worth a ton of gold ....... even though he can't have put that much weight on!
    Good luck with your research everybody!