Thread: Kaighin

sailbad

Default Kaighin

Looking for information on Martha Kaighin and family. She was probably born about 1847, married J J Mulhern & died in 1909 in IoM. She may have come from Ballaugh (IoM).

Famous for offering help & advice. Trish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sailbad
    ...Martha Kaighin and family... probably born about 1847, married J J Mulhern & died in 1909 in IoM... may have come from Ballaugh (IoM).
    Do you have any census info on Martha? There is a Martha MULHERN born about 1847 on the Isle of Man on the 1871 census. Husband is John Joseph MULHERN, born about 1843, Sheffield, Yorkshire. Son, John Joseph MULHERN, born about 1870. Let me know if you want the details...

Reference: RG10/4646 Folio 75 Page 2

Regards,
    Trish

kaighin

Default Martha Kaighin

I have been researching the Kaighin family for several years and don't have any record of a Martha Kaighin ever being born in the Isle of Man. However, that's not to say that she just didn't leave a footprint anywhere.

Are you certain her name was Kaighin?

I searched for their marriage in the free BMD and and various Manx indexes with zero results. There were some results when searching for Mulherns on the Isle of Man.

marriages:
    MULHERN, Albert Ambrose 19 Mar 1910 D RC 167 WATSON, Emily Florence
    MULHERN, Percy Jerder 3 Sep 1904 P ger 205 SIMCOCKS, Flora Theresa

burials:
    MULHERN, Albert Ambrose 59 Dbc 16 Feb 1946
    MULHERN, Emily Florence 73 Dbc 3 Feb 1061
    MULHERN, Flora Teresa 36 Dbc 23 Feb 1918
    MULHERN, John Joseph 82 Dbc 19 Apr 1924
    MULHERN, Martha 62 Dbc 28 Nov 1909
    MULHERN, Martha Avoca Dbc 1 Sep 1956
    MULHERN, Mathew 80 Dbc 6 Mar 1956
    MULHERN, Phyllis Emily 17 mos Dbc 11 Oct 1916
    MULHERN, Winifred Mona 93 Dbc 23 Feb 1965

Marriage entry in the IGI:
    John J. Mulhern m. Martha about 1869 (record submitted by member of LDS church)

Post on the Manx Genealogy Bulletin Board. Posted By: Julie Devlin-Berry. Date: Sunday, 11 November 2001, at 5:43 p.m.

Victor Coglan Devlin was born Douglas in May 1910 his God parents were Matthew Mulhern and Ada Shaw. Victor was my Grandfather, he passed in the 80's here in the states.

Josephine Teresa Devlin, Victor sister was born, 9/31/05. Her god parents were, Charles Carroll, and Henrietta Walsh.

Greg Kaighin
    Last edited by Guest; 12-10-2007 at 3:40 PM.

sadler

Default Kaighin/Isle of Man

Hello.

The name ' Kaighin ' on the Isle of man stretches back to at least 1710 to 1979 with some 37 burial references in Ballaugh St. Mary.

If you require them let me know, I can extract them as an easy read html.

Mike.

manxy1

Quote Originally Posted by sailbad View Post
    Looking for information on Martha Kaighin and family. She was probably born about 1847, married J J Mulhern & died in 1909 in IoM. She may have come from Ballaugh (IoM).
    For those who are still following the Kaighin surname, then please see the following link

https://www.kaighin.com/

sailbad

Default Kaighin Martha

Greg Kaighin
    Thanks
    Mulherns listed by you
    Percy (Isidore) was my GrandPa. He died in 1971. His wife Flora nee Simcocks traces her line back through Elderton (Indian Army) & Trapaud (Hugenot) to mid 17th century France. Phylis Emily new to me. Seems to be same generation as my father (Percy Norman 1906- 1976) & my aunt (1916 to current date)
    Kaighin Martha (1847 - 1906) her mother Kathleen (Catherine ? 1824 ??) Callister was married first to ?? Crellin & then to?? Kaighin. Kathleen Callister had a couple of sisters & a brother John J who went to USA and "made a pile" He died c. 1906 in Cleveland Ohio without descendants.
    Any more info will be valued.

Trish
    Thanks
    JJ Mulhern(1) was born in Sheffield 1842. Birth reported by Matthew Mulhern - "his mark" ! The 1841 census for Sheffield shaow him as from Ireland. JJ's mother Catherine Hunt (1813 - 1878) was from Collooney, near Sligo - Ireland. In the 1851 census JJ(1) is not listed but Catherine is as "old clothes dealer". So my dress sense is hereditary then. JJ(2) became compositor and moved to IoM between1872 & 1875. He worked for IoM Times. I wonder how he met & married a girl from Ballaugh?
    Any more info will be valued.

Mike
    Thanks.
    See above.
    Any more info wil be valued.

Sailbad