v.wells

Question Vista and GEDCOM export settings

Since having Vista I am encountering problems in exporting Gedcom to desktop so I can upload to tribal pages. It keeps exporting directly into a screen in text format. It doesn't ask where to save or anything else - it just does it. Does it have something to do with Active X controls, and if so, what should I have

What controls do I need to set in IE to fix this or is this an A** bug. I have emailed tech support - no response yet.

Does it make a difference that I have no genealogy software loaded onto computer? - I don't see why it would.

Jan1954

Vanessa,

I know nuffink about technology but...

... both on this PC (Vista) and my previous one (XP) there was no way that I could do anything with a GEDCOM unless I had some genealogy software installed.

Maybe the techies will tell me different...

v.wells

I downloaded my tree from tribal pages but couldn't open it as no software installed so I think you are right Jan.

Now I must either wait for my other pc to come back from the shop and use FTM on that one or else buy another one to run on this pc with vista. Darn it, I'm tired of it already!

Lincoln Lad

Vanessa, I believe to run FTM on Vista you need a patch for it to work properly. Not sure about 2008 though I suspect that will be Vista ready.

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by v.wells View Post
    I downloaded my tree from tribal pages but couldn't open it as no software installed so I think you are right Jan.

Now I must either wait for my other pc to come back from the shop and use FTM on that one or else buy another one to run on this pc with vista. Darn it, I'm tired of it already!
    FTM 2008 is compatible with Vista, but 2005 isn't.

v.wells

I have FTM 16 2006 requirements Windows XP so it's a no go situation?

Alan Welsford

Quote Originally Posted by v.wells View Post
    I have FTM 16 2006 requirements Windows XP so it's a no go situation?
    It seems you need to download an update from here....

https://past.familytreemaker.com/vistaupdate/

after which you should be OK.

(I note the version I'm running can't be updated to run with Vista - another reason to resist family pressure to buy a new PC!.....)

Alan

v.wells

Alan you are a true gem . I never thought to go to FTM as I hadn't put it on the computer - but will do so now. I printed off the instructions and will proceed.

I'll let you know how I make out. Thanks!

v.wells

It is working now. Thanks to all. I must learn not to do things when I'm tired and put off with my pc!