Eiton

Default Portable theatres.

Hi there,
    I am a newbie and am searching for anything on Portable theatres relating to the Wells family; My grandmother and her sister were actresses within this theatre before it closed down late 1890's; It has been said the theatre was bought byt someone and taken to Wales but although i have contacts there to date it hasnt been found. The theatre was mostly called; The Wells Pavilion Theatre. Run by my great great grandfather and his grandmother. Joseph and Maria Wells from Yorkshire; Others in this theatre were, from 1881; My great aunt Blanche Young; from late 1880s my grandmother Margaret Young. known as little maggie. My great aunts. Jane Wells and Maggie Denton nee Wells. my great grandmother Emma Young nee Wells; hte theatre toured the midlands from abt 1875 to 1898/9.
    eiton

hughar

A Google Book Search for 'Wells Pavilion Theatre' finds a brief reference on page 525 of 'History of Bedfordshire, 1066-1888' by Joyce Godber, published 1969, as follows:
    "Then in Bedford there emerged Wells' Pavilion Theatre in Commercial St."
    Not much to go on, but worth following up.

And I assume that you know about the information posted here
    https://www.hertfordshire-genealogy.c...ls-theatre.htm
    Last edited by hughar; 05-03-2008 at 5:07 PM. Reason: added further info.

Davran

How about contacting the Society for Theatre Research?

https://www.str.org.uk/

Maybe one of their members could point you in the right direction.

There is also someone at Manchester University who has done some research into theatre history.

https://www.arts.manchester.ac.uk/sub...nfeatherstone/

Eiton

Smile Wells Pavilion Theatre

Thanks HUGHAR

I had not heard of this link and will try it later this week as i am off to work.

Eiton;
    ----------
    Thanks also to DAVRAN;

I have had the info from featherstone which gives adverts of this theatre when looking for actors/comedians and such but the other is new to me which i will try tomorrow.

Eiton

Eiton

Default wells theatre

Hi Hughar,

Have tried your hertfordshire link and it doesnt work; takes you to a dead end do you have another.
    eiton

hughar

Don't understand the problem - it's working fine for me if I click on the link in the forum message, and also if I enter the full url which is
    www.hertfordshire-genealogy.co.uk/data/answers/answers-2008/ans8-015-wells-theatre.htm

Jan1954

It worked okay for me too.

Eiton

Default Hughar - portable theatres

Thank you hughar.

I have managed to get it to work now sorry i am still qutie new to this link stuff.

eiton