Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    renwick

Smile Fantastic My very grateful thanks

Hi Geoffers
    I really cannot thank you enough, I had managed to decipher some names and amounts but not all of them, A lot of the siblings I had found christenings of and could match them. It is interesting that George was the eldest son yet the farming side seems to have been left to the second and third sons. Also it was obviously made shortly before his death. I can also hopefully get a map of down hatherley and may be able to pinpoint where the land was. I really appreciate the time and effort you have taken. I was beginning to think that wills where proving too difficult as had not had any success with the first one I obtained from Welch side as seemed to be proved leaving money to certain people but the breakdown of figures left it to others. Then this one on the Piff side had difficulty in reading. Hopefully with your transcription if I manage to find any other wills from this period I may be able to decipher more myself. Once again many thanks Maureen

Geoffers

No problem, Glocuester RO should have large scale maps of the parish, including the survery created for the Tithe Commutation. The old-maps web-site may show some of the locations.

If you get stuck with any other wills, please ask - I'm happy to try and help.

Fare y'well tergerther

Reputation beyond repute

Out of interest, ar you saying that the George born 1802 is the George mentioned in a will dated 1804?

renwick

Default Hopeful but not certain

If my findings are correct the George b 1802 is the son of George mentioned in the will and the Grandson of the George whose will it was. It looks fairly likely but hope church records will prove a definite link, as then will be back to about mid 1700's. Still not really sure if it is my ancestor, will have to go to Gloucester records office and see if I can definitely tie it up. My husband does not really know that much about his ancestors though thinks there was always a farming connection, I have traced a definite connection to George c 1802 to present day, but on 1851 census says born in Boddington, however as he is living in Boddington in 1851 it could be the reason why he says born Boddington, have found that on other ancestors on my side. Thought I had the 1841 census for him which said down Hatherley, but cannot find it, so could be just imaging it, due to severe family problems have not really looked at it for about two years, but know I kept each family in different folders. I am just getting back into it all and trying to remember where I was have had a lot of problems with my side of the family changing names and uncertain parents possibility of two fathers so got quite complicated on my side. Down Hatherley is not that far from Boddington and there is later connections with Down Hatherley and Hatherley. .

Reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by renwick View Post
    If my findings are correct the George b 1802 is the son of George mentioned in the will and the Grandson of the George whose will it was.
    That's more plausible than what I thought you meant.

Geoffers

If my findings are correct the George b 1802 is the son of George mentioned in the will and the Grandson of the George whose will it was......Still not really sure if it is my ancestor.......I have traced a definite connection to George c 1802 to present day, but on 1851 census says born in Boddington, however as he is living in Boddington in 1851
    Did George (bn c.1802) survive to later census returns and if so can you find him in them? If yes, where do they show him as being born?

Sometimes, reviewing what you have helps to give your research new direction, if you would like some fresh eyes from forum members, please feel free to post some details - how have you traced back to George who was born c.1802?

renwick

Default Tracing back to george

Hi Geoffers
    Have got 1851 census when living in Twigworth says b in Boddington and 1871 again b in Boddington. His wife Alice in 1851 b Staverton but in 1871 she was b in boddington. Also the first three children where b in Staverton. So think there was a family connection in Staverton.

My husband did not know that much about his ancestors but could remember his paternal Grandmother who lived at Staverton. We obtained his father's birth certificate which confused matters as stated his father was Thomas Piff and the marriage certificate father Charles Piff. Eventually after a lot of false leads we realised that Thomas was Charles's brother and could have gone with her to register the birth and probably there was a mixup as to who he was and who the father was. This was confirmed that it was Charles Piff who was my husband's grandfatherwhen we contacted one of the my husband's relatives who was a descendant of his grandmother and born before she married my husbands grandfather.

Charles (My husband's grandfather) c1869 and Thomas c 1864 where two of the children b to James and Emma Piff, There was also a William c 1867, m Hester with a son Leonard Barrnett who my husband remembered used to come to their house a lot. I have found 7 children all together on 1881 Census. (James b Stoverton, presume Staverton and a Market Gardner) Most of his children where born in Down Hatherley and were Farm Labourers
    James was born to George c 1802 and Alice Piff, baptised Staverton June 15th 1828.

This is were I have not tied it up yet according to IGI's

George Piffe C unknown m Sarah Brown 19th June 1766 Deerhurst, Had a son George Christened down Hatherley 4 August 1774. and several other children as mentioned in the will you did for me.
    George Piffe Christened 4th August 1774 Down Hatherley Married Ann Legyt 6 Dec 1798 Red Marley C'Abitot Worcs. Had a son George Piffe Christened 07 Feb 1802 Down Hatherley
    George Piffe c 1802 m Alice Hands 3rd December 1826 Mary De-Lode's Glos.
    All locations are fairly near each other and Staverton and Boddington. So think a good chance they will tally but as yet have not got anything definite.
    Hope this all makes sense.

Geoffers

Charles (My husband's grandfather) c1869
    c1869 suggests that you don't have his birth certificate, I think you need it to confirm that you are following the right line back from here. The birth certificate will give his mum's maiden name and so help to identify the correct marriage for his parents.

Census returns, freebmd and the GRO index point towards a marriage in March quartre 1852 with Emma WILLIS, but that cannot be taken for granted.

(James b Stoverton, presume Staverton and a Market Gardner)
    The 1861 and 1871 census shows it as Staverton (RG9/1763 f29 p7 and RG10/2610 f59 p18)

George Piffe c 1802 m Alice Hands 3rd December 1826 Mary De-Lode's Glos.
    Have you been able to trace Groeg PIFF(E) bn c.1802 in any census returns?

renwick

Hi Geoffers
    No I don ‘t have the birth certificate, I have the marriage certificate of my husband’s grandfather Charles c1869, together with a copy of the Probate Registry of his Grandmother Alice Piff nee Eskins, naming her son James Piff a farmer as the person to administer the estate, not sure if she left a will, might be interesting if she did. Also have been in touch with descendants of Alice before her marriage to Charles and they have a lot of information on her, and my husband also remembers visiting her at Staverton with his Dad. She died in 1959 when my husband was 16. I think Charles died in 1912 according to free BMD, I might try for the death certificate of him. Alice had a daughter in the first quarter of 1913, who later emigrated to Australia, have e-mailed her children, some time ago but they knew very little. She also had a son b in 1910 who my husband also remembers, he married but had no children.

Have traced George c 1802 in 1861 and 1881 census and both say Boddington, but have found in the past that the Census birthplace and christenings do not always match, sometimes because they do not know and other times because they are christened in the family church. Boddington and Upper Hatherley are quite close. Have also found this for 1841 though does not give birth place
    Search 1841 census - results for Piffe
    Search again
    GEORGE PIFFE
    30 Cheltenham & Gloucester
    ALICE PIFFE
    30 Cheltenham & Gloucester
    JAMES PIFFE
    12 Cheltenham & Gloucester
    MARGARET PIFFE
    9 Cheltenham & Gloucester

I hope to go to Gloucester records office some time this year, but will have to fit it in with other commitments. I work and also visit and take my Mum out three times a week, she has dementia and is in a home, she cannot go out unless accompanied and I am trying to keep her routine of coffee mornings with friends, hairdressers, church and general visiting her. Also I look after my grandchildren quite a bit, so need to really ensure I have a complete day free so I am not rushed. It may have to wait until I have summer holidays as I want to know I have enough time to achieve something and not rush in and out.

As I say I am just getting back into it after a couple of years so having to reacquaint myself with all the facts.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123