pamela.robinson

Question The Sicto Club - Ipswich

On a marriage cert. the father of the groom William Palmer 1860 gave his occupation as General Superintendent of the Sicto club. This was in the Ipswich area around 1880. His occupations on the census had been slippermaker and insurance agent. Anybody any ideas.
    Thanks

Davran

Can't find anything on Google. How is Sicto written? Is it a word or the initial letters, ie S I C T O? If it's letters it could be something like Suffolk Independent Christian Temperance Organisation - if such a thing ever existed!

Mutley

I also could not find a reference to Sicto.
    I thought I would try and find him in the census to see what occupation he gave and now....
    Sorry Pam, I am a little confused.
    Please could you just clarify.

On a marriage cert. the father of the groom William Palmer 1860 gave his occupation as General Superintendent of the Sicto club.
    William born abt 1860 the one who married Edith and was the slippermaker,
    is he the son of the person you are searching or is it actually William?

1861 William, 3 month old son of Mary Ann, head of household
    1871 William, 13 yrs old in Ipswich Union Workhouse
    1881 William, 21 yrs old married to Edith, a Slippermaker
    1891 William, 30 yrs old married to Edith, a Slippermaker
    1901 William, 40 yrs old still married to Edith, Insurance Agent

So are we searching for William's dad, husband of Mary Ann who in 1851 may give an occupation that would help with the Sicto. If so, what's his name?

They did seem to be involved with the Silk industry?
    Last edited by Mutley; 27-02-2008 at 12:06 PM. Reason: got in a muddle

pamela.robinson

Default Sicto Club

Thanks for all your replies and I can tell you are all as puzzled as me. I was wrong with the date sorry, this occupation was given on the marriage cert. of his son, Edgar, in 1909. His son, Edgar, was a miller and either a waiter or a nailer! On William's marriage cert. to Edith he gave his occupation as slippermaker. On the cert Sicto is written as all one word but the registrar might not have had a clue what it was either. Unfortunately no father was noted for him on his marriage cert which is causing more confusion. This tree is giving me a few headaches!
    Thanks again
    Pam

Davran

Might be worth your trying to contact the library in Ipswich to see if they can dig anything up for you.