John C Booth

Default info on Gregson family

I am seeking more information on the ancestors of CHARLES GREGSON born 1825 who lived in Blackfordby during census of 1861. He was born in Ashby de la Zouch in Leicestershire and was married to a Selina ? of Ticknal, Derbs. It is believed his great, great grandfather was born in Scotland in 1725 and came to England with Bonnie Prince Charlied in 1745, and settled near Derby when his army was disbanded. Could anyone think of a way this could be verified? All help appreciated.

I think you would have to be more definite on a line back to Scotland.

Start with the Parish Registers for Ashby de la Zouch, identify his parents, then with luck they might have been on the 1851/61 censuses for you to get more information on them. Once you have this, go and check the registers for the parish his father was born and so on.

Stories are great, my story was that they originated from Norfolk. Well, for 300 years they lived in the same village in Derbyshire and before then Nuneaton, where the trail ends. Facts is what genealogy is about, folkfore is nice and better if you have the meat to put on the bones of it.

John C Booth

Default Gregson family history

Hi Neil, Thanks for the advice I will find out where the Ashby de la Zouch Parish Records are held and arrange a visit to try and locate details of Charles Gregsons parents. Kind Regards John C Booth.

John,

The 1851 Census shows your Charles & Selina living at Blackfordby, as follows:

1851 Census: Blackfordby LEI PRO Ref. HO107/2084/193/14/56:
    Charles GREGSON Head M M 26 Tailor LEI Blackfordby
    Selina GREGSON Wife M F 25 LEI Blackfordby
    Henry GREGSON Son M 7 Scholar LEI Blackfordby
    Ann GREGSON Dau F 3 LEI Blackfordby
    Leonard GREGSON Son M 5m LEI Blackfordby

Charles' birth place is shown as Blackfordby, which I might note is very close to Ashby, and I often encounter folk born in "Blackfordby, parish of Ashby de la Zouch."

There was a family of GREGSONs living in Blackfordby in the early 1800s, that of Samuel GREGSON and Ann BLADON, who were married at Netherseal in 1802. The only GREGSON having children in Blackfordby at around the time that Charles was born, was Samuel and Ann's eldest daughter Mary. She had three illegitimate children, as follows:

- Emma bapt. 14 Sep 1823
    - Mary bapt. 12 Aug 1828 bur. 16 Jun 1829
    - James Walker bapt. 23 Feb 1834

I wonder if Charles was also a child of Mary? His baptism is not shown in the Blackfordby parish registers, but may appear in those of Ashby de la Zouch, or one of the other adjacent parishes.

Regards and best wishes,

Brett Payne
    Tauranga, New Zealand

MarkG

Quote Originally Posted by John C Booth View Post
    I am seeking more information on the ancestors of CHARLES GREGSON born 1825 who lived in Blackfordby during census of 1861. He was born in Ashby de la Zouch in Leicestershire and was married to a Selina ? of Ticknal, Derbs. It is believed his great, great grandfather was born in Scotland in 1725 and came to England with Bonnie Prince Charlied in 1745, and settled near Derby when his army was disbanded. Could anyone think of a way this could be verified? All help appreciated.
    Hi John, I am from the same descendants that you were tracking here (Charles and Selina had a son Josiah who is my Great Grandfather) and I was wondering if you were able to find out anymore after your thread. Kind regards, Mark Gregson

georgiep

Hi everyone please see the following link, so you don't waste time doubling up.
    Cheers
    georgiep

https://www.british-genealogy.com/for...married-Selina

In 1861/71 census he says born Kniveton Derbyshire
    IGI have a baptism for Charles 15/2/1822 to Thomas & Sarah no maiden.
    Marriage 1819 to Sarah Walker.