Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    valbee

Default JNO name of ancestor

Hi

Please could someone tell me what the name JNO is short for? I found the name in the IGI and not sure if it is a short version of John.

Thanks
    Val

Alan Welsford

You are correct

Jno = John
    Wm = William
    Jas = James

etc...

Alan

Mutley

One of my lot used JNO for Junior when father and son, with the same names, (not John) lived together.

However, I think the abbreviation for Junior should really be JNR. I would not trust my lot to have got anything right.

Alan Welsford

Probably worth posing this link

(Its on the FreeReg site)

https://freereg.rootsweb.com/howto/realnames.htm

Alan

*bunty*

Thanks for that link Alan, that just told me my Jon. is indeed Jonathan as I suspected. I worked out Wm., Jas. and Chas. on my own .

valbee

Default JNO query- thanks

Hi

Thanks to all who helped with my query. I'd sorted out Hy for Henry, Chas for Charles and Lottie for Charlotte but couldn't fathom why John would be shortened to JNO!

Val

Guy Etchells

Be very careful extending "abbreviated" names sometimes the name was not abbreviated but was the full name.
    Also ensure to check other sources to prove the assumption of full name was correct, remember the person who wrote the contraction may not have know the correct protocol and simply used their own contractions.
    Best practice is not to extend or contract anything when copying records until other sources confirm or deny the assumption.
    Cheers
    Guy

*bunty*

I understand where you are coming from Guy, but I think we are pretty safe with Hy and Jno, as it simply isn't possible that these are real names. Now, I understand Chas could be a name (although in my case it was short for Charles). I guess it is always safe to double check though .

pipsqueak

In the case of one of my relatives, the Jno stood for Jane - as in "Mary Jno". If I hadn't been 100% certain that I had the right family and hadn't known that, the Jno would have thrown me completely!

LittleMissP

I recently realised why I was getting confused over one section of my tree... There were two daughters of a particular couple- one called Elizabeth and the other Eliza. At first I'd assumed these were the same person and merrily put Elizabeth in all the relevant entries, it was only later on I realised that I now have to transfer Elizabeth's marriage, children, etc, etc across to Eliza.

Distinct lack of originality on the parent's behalf though in the naming!

But a good lesson learnt for me!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast