Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dawn Tolson

Default Electoral Roll Abbreviations

Can anyone tell me what the abbreviations mean on a 1927 Electoral Roll. Beside the names there is either an R , O or HO. There seems to be 2 columns and a column of numbers to start with.

Thanks

Dawn

v.wells

Good link Finbar. I may have to use it for my Worcestershire/Warwickshire lot.

Dawn Tolson

Thanks

Famous for offering help & advice

Slowly educating myself ... started with "A" - Acronyms & Abbreviations.

Is there a message missing from the above "conversation"?

Jane

Jan1954

Yes - it seems to have disappeared. I believe that the link was to this pdf document.

MadeleineNZ

I'm new to this website, was browsing and thought this might help me so I looked at the pdf, it doesn't tell me what letters in the London Electoral Registers mean. e.g. Rw, Ow, O, Dw, R. Does anybody know what they stand for?
    There are two columns of letters and sometimes there is a dash (-) in the second column, I would like to know why.

Jan1954

Hello MadeleineNZ - welcome to Brit-Gen,

R = Residence qualification
    B = Business premises qualification
    O = Occupation qualification
    D = Qualification through spouse's occupation

Rw, Ow, and Dw have the same meanings but the addition of a "w" means that they apply to women.

Reputation beyond repute

Does anybody know what they stand for?
    The abbreviations are listed at the start of each register. I could copy them out but if you look for yourself you'll avoid my typos

Unfortunately, knowing what the abbreviations stand for isn't the same as knowing what they mean

MadeleineNZ

Thanks Peter, I've found the right page. Must admit I hadn't thought to look for it because I thought I was only being presented with the pages with names in, duh!

murther

Hi all - please can you help.

I have come across my Grandfather's address in the borough of Lambeth's electoral roll register for 1949. He is entered in the register twice at the same address with the abbreviation of DUWX 116/3 on one and EBGW 66/3 on the other. Can anyone help as to why he would have two entries and what the abbreviations mean. I do know that he was a teacher.

Thabk you in anticipation

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast