Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Alan Welsford

Quote Originally Posted by suedent View Post
    I have a case where 2 small girls died in the workhouse within a week of each other. The rest of the family was living all together in their own home. Given the number of children that died about the same time it's looks like there was an epidemic of some kind.

The NHS has it's faults but we should remember all the people that suffered and/or died because they couldn't afford to visit the doctor before the NHS was founded.
    I found the following from the Burial records in the parish of Buckland, Bucks quite illuminating....

13 Dec 1844 Elizabeth JUFFS, aged 3, from the Union Workhouse after having been there about 10 days.
    13 Dec 1844 Frederick JUFFS, aged 6, from the Union Workhouse having caught a severe cold there, being in perfect health previously.

I don't think the rector there leaves us in much doubt about conditions at that particular workhouse. (Aylesbury, I assume).

Buckland was (and is) a very small place, but 10 years earlier 10 people are buried in a single month because of a Cholera outbreak.

It was a different world then, that's for certain.

SUSSEXDER

Thank you every one for your help and comments,on my postings.
    SUSSEXDER.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234