polarbear

Default HOLDSTOCK, Ellen & Frank Sidney

The death dates for mother & son are identical - 1st June 1902 in Hastings. Frank Sidney Holdstock was born 1st March 1901, his mother was born in Battle 1869.
    Frank's father was William Holdstock, who because of what appears to be some kind of a tragedy, married again & had a son - my father.
    I have tried various avenues to establish the cause of death in both instances. If push comes to shove, & the coffers will bear it, I will purchase the death certs.
    In the meantime, I am hoping that someone out there might be able to shed a little light on the matter.
    Thank you, in anticipation. polarbear.

I think death certificates are the only way. With diseases such as smallpox still around, not to mention influenza and whooping cough often being fatal, it would not be unheard of for a mother and young child to succumb to the same disease on the same day.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

polarbear

Smile Holdstock Ellen & Sidney

Hi Sue
    Thanks for your answer; I had not thought of illness, so will go for the "certs."
    Kind regards/.
    Polarbear

ChrisKelly

Is it possible that mother and child died in an accident? It might be worthwhile checking the local newspapers, but perhaps you've already done that? However, as Sue says getting hold of the death certificates is the only certain way of finding out what really happened.

Ps. I noticed in the GRO records that Ellen was 40 when she died implying that she was born in 1862, a bit earlier than you said.

polarbear

Smile Holdstock Ellen & Sidney

Thanks for your reply Chris. Apart from certificates, I think most avenues have been exhausted.