Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Reputation beyond repute

Jacqui

According to Familia, Manchester Archives and Local Studies have a copy of the National Probate Indexes 1858-1943 on microfiche.

That should simplify matters for you.

JacquiA

Thanks Peter for that I have some holidays coming up so a trip into Manchester may be in order.

Jacqui

Default Idiots guide to wills

Dargie

Have you asked the Genealogical Society of Victoria if they have the index ? I know that the GS of Queensland have one- and folk are richer down in Melbourne :-)

Cheers..Ed

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Ed McKie View Post
    Dargie

and folk are richer down in Melbourne :-)
    Oh is that right... well I am the country bumpkin type actually! And it would appear that nearly all my Suffolk ancestors were ag labourers! Got the wrong girl!

Anyway great suggestion I will certainly give them a call. Last time I called them a little ice slipped down the line but I am sure if I become a member all will be resolved.

By the way you still have two hours and two minutes to celebrate. Go for it!!

Cheers and thanks
    Marj.

Default Idiots guide to wills

Last time I called them a little ice slipped down the line but I am sure if I become a member all will be resolved.
    Marj.
    Rumour up here in Queensland is that Melbourne has several seasons per day- perhaps you chose the wrong time to ring- or perhaps even the wrong day.

Cheers..Ed

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Ed McKie View Post
    Rumour up here in Queensland is that Melbourne has several seasons per day
    Best not believe all the rumours you hear about Victoria.

Of course I would never believe that the reason you guys have a beer called XXXX up there in Queensland is because you are all illiterate!

Cheers
    Marj.

Ken Boyce

Default re Victorian Rumors

Of course you must be referring to Aussie Victoria and not our Canadian Victoria

Hm --on the other hand the more I think about it the more I'm not so sure because it is where our Provincial politicians hang out playing their little games during the winter at us taxpayers’ expense

Fidgetsmum

Of course, I may have missed something here, but you can search for and order copies of British Wills from the National Archives via their website

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/d...line/wills.asp

I've so far obtained 4 at different times and chose to have them sent electronically. Of course they're not free, (although the searching you do, is) so you need to enter card payment details, but on each occasion in less than a week, I've received a copy of the will in PDF form.

suedent

Quote Originally Posted by Fidgetsmum View Post
    Of course, I may have missed something here, but you can search for and order copies of British Wills from the National Archives via their website

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/d...line/wills.asp

I've so far obtained 4 at different times and chose to have them sent electronically. Of course they're not free, (although the searching you do, is) so you need to enter card payment details, but on each occasion in less than a week, I've received a copy of the will in PDF form.
    Fidgetsmum, whilst a great resource, the National Archives index is only a fraction of the Wills that exist, in that it only covers those from the Prerogative Court of Canterbury & only goes up to 1858. There were Courts held by all the Diocese in England and although some were lost in WW2 (Exeter springs to mind) even if the original records no longer exist there are often transcripts available.

The situation post-1858 is different in that there is a national index & the records are held by a goverment body rather than the Church of England/Record Offices.

bwarnerok

Quote Originally Posted by yorkshirecath View Post
    Can i ask a question. If someone died in the US who emigrated there in 1843 from the UK left a will, is there a way to find out?
    Thanks
    US Wills will be found in County Archives as probate. Unfortunately, each county is in a separate state, and each state deals with things differently. Some are free.. some are VERY pricey.

Suggest either ROAGK or Rootsweb to zoom in on county and people that might be able to help you.
    Betsy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast